What's new

Track your app's ranking for searches on the App Store

evanmarks

Reaction score
Try it out - <MODERATOR EDIT; REMOVED WEBSITE ADDRESS>

My app currently is not ranked in any categories on the App Store and I noticed myself constantly counting through search results to track my progress up or down in the rankings.

So I made this.

Right now it grabs your rankings for searches in 8 countries for both iPhone and iPad. I am working on having it poll hourly so that it is easy to track progress over time.

Would love to get any feedback! Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very, very useful site you've got there Evanmarks! We very much appreciate the post!

Nice one. It doesn't show though, why some apps rank better or worse despite using the same keywords.
Is there a way you can check other app stores, too? I have different app store descriptions in different countries and the appropriate searchterms work there. They also pull up my app within the first 25 apps.
The english speaking market is difficult as there are so many people who can speak english.

Last edited:
Mike_73,

If I am understanding you correctly, you would like to see the results for the Apple App Store, but in other countries? I am working on rolling the full version of this service out and it will include all countries - I think there are about 160 now. I would like to eventually include other stores like Google Play as well, but that will take quite a bit longer.

Thanks for taking a look and for the feedback!

It's quite good checking up on your rankings and how well others do.
I actually posted a link on my blog if you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I remove it. Sorry for not asking front up, but I assume I wouldn't have reached you last night due to time shift.
Mike

Don't mind at all! What is the url of your blog?

Don't mind at all! What is the url of your blog?

I've sent a PM. Don't know if posting my blogaddress would be ok on this forum.
I'm subscribed to different forums, and some of them don't like advertising for blogs and such.

BTW, I've put Gas By Numbers free for 3 days again.
If you'd like, have a look at it.

Mike

I've sent a PM. Don't know if posting my blogaddress would be ok on this forum.
I'm subscribed to different forums, and some of them don't like advertising for blogs and such.

BTW, I've put Gas By Numbers free for 3 days again.
If you'd like, have a look at it.

Mike

You are correct in Privte messaging the blog link as it is against forum rules to post it here.

Thanks!

thank you for that interesting post, I still don't get how to get better app rankings, even with the keywords. I saw companies [], they do it for you. However, I think I can't afford it right now. Hopefully in the next time. ;)

Moderation Notice:&#8203; This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum RulesNo External Links...Emails, Social Networks, Blogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's fairly easy to get better rankings. 1. check if your app gets found with the keywords you provided. 2. Check if similar apps pop up with the same keywords -> if yes, your keywords are right, if no, you should rethink your keywords.
Just check what app comes up on top if you enter the keywords that best describe the functionality of your app.
Once you have the keywords adjusted, it depends on the number of downloads your app has. In my case, putting my app up for free improved the rankings by half in just 2 days. If I entered 2 keywords, e.g. gas log, my app ranked under the first 25 apps. Unfortunately, once I had put a price tag on it again, the ranking went back to the initial scores.
If you want to sell your app, it must be that good that people can first find it easily (e.g. at the time of release, posting in forums, basically, get people interested in your app. No one is interested in something they don't know about.). The first downloads will drive the ranking. Once you sold your app a couple of times, ranking should improve and once it's getting under the first 25 apps, people will see it and probably buy it.
But yes, I'm into that game for 2 months now, and I still learn. Marketing was never the thing I was much interested in. But it's getting more interesting as I want to at least get my developer program paid by selling my app. I hope I get there.

Mike