What's new

Tough Cases... Does anyone have one?

BarbaraQ

Reaction score
I've been researching rough cases (impact resistant, screen protector, etc.) for the iPhone 4s. Waterproof is not really necessary but would be nice.

However, after looking at pretty much everything on the market, I cannot decide.

One review says it's good, then someone else says they broke their phone from a simple drop.

One is indestructible, then someone says it overheats the phone.

One is compatible with both the 4 and 4s. Then someone says it is not.

I cannot get a definitive answer on what is the best way to protect a 4s from simple elements such as dropping it and protecting the screen.

I would also favorably like to be able to charge the phone without having any modified chargers or having to take the case off.

I just feel lost in finding an overall agreement between anyone regarding this subject.

Sorry for the rant and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Also, price doesn't matter so much as long as it is not absolutely ridiculous.

I have the Otterbox Defender...it's bulky but it does what I need it to do, protect my phone

I have the Otterbox Defender...it's bulky but it does what I need it to do, protect my phone

This is exactly the one that I thought would be the best balance of protection, price, and style.

Then I found this comment on a youtube review of the case:
"
My friend had this case, its great! she could throw her iPhone across the room without a worry! But one day it fell of off the table and hit the ground faced down. the screen shattered!"

I know I shouldn't take every comment on something to heart, but even more expensive cases such as LifeProof have gotten many negative reviews.

I just can't decide...

BarbaraQ said:
This is exactly the one that I thought would be the best balance of protection, price, and style.

Then I found this comment on a youtube review of the case:
"My friend had this case, its great! she could throw her iPhone across the room without a worry! But one day it fell of off the table and hit the ground faced down. the screen shattered!"

I know I shouldn't take every comment on something to heart, but even more expensive cases such as LifeProof have gotten many negative reviews.

I just can't decide...

These cases you are debating on are pretty good cases. There's always gonna be a few negative comments on any product. More than likely the reviewers were careless with their devices. Like the one you mentioned "I throw my iPhone across the room and it's doesn't hurt it!"
This person was just asking for something bad to happen to their iPhone. Throwing it across the room like that couldn't have been good for it, and it may be the reason their screen shattered so easily.

My iPhone 4 has been dropped a couple of times in its otterbox case and it's survived both times without a scratch. Once was from 3 foot and the other time was from 8 foot. I'm happy with the defender. I don't neglect it, and it's done it's job well.

You can't find a case that's foolproof. It would be too bulky and impractical if it was. Any phone can fall "just right" and receive damage, but these type of cases reduce that chance by a long shot.

If your this concerned about damage to your phone, your best option would probably be a sturdy case and insurance that covers destroyed/damaged devices.

This is the best advice I can give you. I hope this helped. :)

These cases you are debating on are pretty good cases. There's always gonna be a few negative comments on any product. More than likely the reviewers were careless with their devices. Like the one you mentioned "I throw my iPhone across the room and it's doesn't hurt it!"
This person was just asking for something bad to happen to their iPhone. Throwing it across the room like that couldn't have been good for it, and it may be the reason their screen shattered so easily.

My iPhone 4 has been dropped a couple of times in its otterbox case and it's survived both times without a scratch. Once was from 3 foot and the other time was from 8 foot. I'm happy with the defender. I don't neglect it, and it's done it's job well.

You can't find a case that's foolproof. It would be too bulky and impractical if it was. Any phone can fall "just right" and receive damage, but these type of cases reduce that chance by a long shot.

If your this concerned about damage to your phone, your best option would probably be a sturdy case and insurance that covers destroyed/damaged devices.

This is the best advice I can give you. I hope this helped. :)

Oh wow, I'm sorry.. I didn't even see your reply. Thanks so much for your input!

I think these comments have made my decision pretty much final.

Also, it can be charged with the standard charger without taking off the case, yes? I wasn't sure about that.

BarbaraQ said:
You know what.. I think I'm sold. This was my first choice after much debate. I guess I was right.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! I really appreciate it.

Even though, any more input is surely not ignored.

Your very welcome. :)

BarbaraQ said:
Oh wow, I'm sorry.. I didn't even see your reply. Thanks so much for your input!

I think these comments have made my decision pretty much final.

Also, it can be charged with the standard charger without taking off the case, yes? I wasn't sure about that.

Yes you can use the stock apple charger with the case on, but to use a docking station, you'll have to get a dock extender. Which that goes with any protective case.

Yes you can use the stock apple charger with the case on, but to use a docking station, you'll have to get a dock extender. Which that goes with any protective case.

Oh, I see. I'm very ignorant about this since this will be my first Apple product. I haven't purchased the 4s yet.

They all come with a standard docking station? I don't believe I've ever seen this.

BarbaraQ said:
Oh, I see. I'm very ignorant about this since this will be my first Apple product. I haven't purchased the 4s yet.

They all come with a standard docking station? I don't believe I've ever seen this.

No just a standard charger. You won't have to worry about anything unless you buy an aftermarket docking station. Which is different from a standard charger.

We were all noobs at once so don't feel bad. :)

I agree 10x over. My defender was given to me by a friend. It is by far the best case I have found. Screen protector, shock protection, and mildly rain/water resistant. I have dropped mine a few times and have been glad that case was on it.

No just a standard charger. You won't have to worry about anything unless you buy an aftermarket docking station. Which is different from a standard charger.

We were all noobs at once so don't feel bad. :)

Thanks so much. I figured that but wasn't sure. I hope to pass any knowledge to further noobs =)

I agree 10x over. My defender was given to me by a friend. It is by far the best case I have found. Screen protector, shock protection, and mildly rain/water resistant. I have dropped mine a few times and have been glad that case was on it.

It is so hard to find definitive answers on these products. I am so used to looking up reviews and deciding what to buy. It has been surprisingly difficult to find opinions on these products.

It's people like you and everyone else who contributed that make the decision possible. Thank you all.

i find it funny how Otterbox site claims the iPhone 4 version of the defender, which i have; isn't compatible with the iPhone 4s.....both according to apple have same dimensions. only difference is the mute button doesn't quite line up due to the secondary antenna. yet i don't see how this qualifies to drop another $50 dollars