What's new

Touch screen not working in parts

mel81

Reaction score
Today my touch screen on my 4s stopped working on parts of the screen. There is a strip down one side that will not work.
Has anyone had this problem? I have rebooted but haven't restored yet as I didn't want to if its a problem with the LCD.
So I'm guessing I need to replace the screen but I'm just not sure.
Can anyone help

Your first step definitely needs to be restoring your 4S as a New Device. If that doesn't resolve your issues I'd suggest replacing the digitizer/touch screen... and not the LCD. The only trick w/ that is... it's almost impossible to replace one w/o the other.

sorry for wrong usage(bad english)..i mean the touchscreen itlself together with the lcd.in my experience,it is not advisable to replace only the touchscreen unless you are already expert on it.Anyways, that kind of problem I mostly encountered by replacing the lcd/touchscreen not through SW.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. So replacing the LCD and digitizer will most likely fix it? Is there any other reason it wouldn't fix it? But it does sound like that's the problem, I was using it when it happened. It was working perfectly then went a bit crazy, opening apps without me touching anything and then wasn't working.

yah, because the touchscreen is hardly intacted into the lcd,you may broke the lcd for sure...

Yup it's your digitizer, if it stopped working on the whole screen then I would say could be the connector due from slight water damage. But from what you stated earlier. It most likely the digitizer, I would just look for a full replacement LCD and digitizer. If you have a shop that could supply the part and do the labor would be great. But expect a pretty peny for it. If you have skills and trust your self to do it. It normally takes about 15-20 mins to do the full repair.

mel81 said:
Today my touch screen on my 4s stopped working on parts of the screen. There is a strip down one side that will not work.
Has anyone had this problem? I have rebooted but haven't restored yet as I didn't want to if its a problem with the LCD.
So I'm guessing I need to replace the screen but I'm just not sure.
Can anyone help

Is your warranty expired? If it isn't, let Apple check it out, if it's a hardware failure, you should get a free replacement. If the warranty is expired, feel free to repair it yourself or have it repaired at a repair shop.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator