What's new

Touch ID requesting passcode

Fatmax

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if someone can help, every so often my iPhone asks me to enter my passcode to enable Touch ID. This can normally happen when Touch ID has already been enabled. Is this normal?

Hi, I wonder if someone can help, every so often my iPhone asks me to enter my passcode to enable Touch ID. This can normally happen when Touch ID has already been enabled. Is this normal?
Perfectly normal. You’re asked for your password after resetting the iPhone or you’ve not used Touch ID for a while. It also happens if Touch ID has failed too many times in a row.

Perfectly normal. You’re asked for your password after resetting the iPhone or you’ve not used Touch ID for a while. It also happens if Touch ID has failed too many times in a row.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I use Touch ID each time l access my iPhone and l I’ve not reset my phone either which is why I’m concerned it’s asking for my passcode. Are you able to clarify further? Regards

Sometimes your fingers may be extra dry or slightly damp after just washing and may not be recognised, so you will have to put your Passcode in.

You have to enter the passcode after restarting the iPhone; when the passcode hasn’t been used the last 6 days and the device has not been unlocked for more than eight hours.

You have to enter the passcode after restarting the iPhone; when the passcode hasn’t been used the last 6 days and the device has not been unlocked for more than eight hours.
Thanks for your reply, however is it ever possible for someone to manipulate the passcode and Touch ID without having access to the phone? it might seem a bit far fetched but l was wondering if that’s a possibility?

Mine does the same thing occasionally. No good reason that I can discern, it just suddenly requires my passcode instead of allowing me to use touch ID. In fact, it did it to me this morning. Probably happens once a week or so on average. I don't think it's abnormal or out of the ordinary.

There are days that all 4 of my Touch ID iOS devices require me to enter my passcode, even if I have used it them the day before, at the first touch. Don't know why, I just live with it.

My iPhone does this occasionally, even though I use it all the time. It’s to the point occasionally I’ll unlock it with fingerprint and an hour later it wants me to put in my password.

Here’s my theory. Apple does this on purpose even if your a heavy iPhone user and use your phone all day and night..... if Apple never asked for your passcode, you may forget it. So I’m cool with it asking me once and a while so it’s not forgotten. Just my two cents[emoji6]