What's new

To all of my fellow sprint users

Chris951

Reaction score
A you may or may not know, virgin mobile runs on the sprint network and uses their towers. Virgin mobile has announced that they will be capping data speeds. This is most likely due to vast amounts of customers rooting and hot spotting their phones. I have a virgin android which I use it for this purpose only and I seem to hit an upwards of 30gb of data a month. But this is good for sprint users like myself at the same time because it should in theory speed up our data speeds due to people being capped and not using as much data. Just thought I'd spread the word!

HGolightly said:
It has not helped yet...

It's taking effect as of march 23 this year officially. But I have a virgin mobile android phone which I wifi hotspot and they have already capped my data after 2.5gb.

I think eventually Sprints gonna have no choice but to cap data. The amount of people tethering for free is gonna kill them. The android users are notorious for running wifi tether and with the 4s jailbreak your gonna see tons more users doing it.

wingzfan61 said:
I think eventually Sprints gonna have no choice but to cap data. The amount of people tethering for free is gonna kill them. The android users are notorious for running wifi tether and with the 4s jailbreak your gonna see tons more users doing it.

Oh yeah no doubt they will. Users like me will be grandfathered but I think they should. It's just a gimmick to get more customers and then just like Verizon and AT&T, they will cap it. I mean, virgin mobile is owned by sprint and they had unlimited. But everyone was getting the $25 plan which came with unlimited text and data and they were just wifi tethering all the time. Hell that's what I use my virgin phone for haha. But they have capped my data down to 256kbps. I ran a speed test on it just for the heck of it and every single test was pegged right at 256kbps lol. I used to get a good 1mbps average on my virgin mobile phone. But I do use a good amount of data on it since I wifi hotspot with it. I think I'm at 4gb and my month just ended today. Usually I'll use about 10-15gb. I'm just glad I got sprint when I did so I can be grandfathered when they do cap data. Hopefully soon data speeds will improve too. Lately I've only been getting .75mbps which isn't too good. I'm moving back down to Arizona next week though and I always got way better data speeds there. I live right in urban Denver right now which I'm sure is the reason for the slow data speeds due to congestion

My husband has virgin mobile android and it is $35 a month for the unlimited data plan. He said they already sent him a message that the cap has been put into effect. He doesn't use that much data so it does not effect him. I use wifi at home and work on Sprint so unlimited data really does not effect me.

HGolightly said:
My husband has virgin mobile android and it is $35 a month for the unlimited data plan. He said they already sent him a message that the cap has been put into effect. He doesn't use that much data so it does not effect him. I use wifi at home and work on Sprint so unlimited data really does not effect me.

My plan is $25. I got it before they switched it to the $35 plan and I was grandfathered in. I got a text and email and it said it won't take affect until 3/23 but like I said, they have already capped my data lol. I only use my virgin mobile phone to wifi hotspot for Internet on my laptop and for my Xbox live to play games and watch netflix. But since this data cap is being put into affect I'm probably gonna just drop virgin mobile and get real Internet finally.