What's new

Time for at&t phone upgrade. Considering Galaxy S3 insead of iPhone5

SteveFury

Reaction score
Hi.

I've been using an iPhone since the 3 came out sometime in 2009. I've since upgraded my iPhone with every new release and currently have a 4/32gig.

The iPhone 5 is a beautiful work of capable hardware, but my real problem is with Apple itself. One of the issue I have with the iPhone "package" is the inability of iTunes to work efficiently under any other OS than Windows or apple. I'd love to run OpenSuse, a Linux distro but iTunes have problems within it.

Apple policies have always rubbed me the wrong way.
One of the issues I have with Apple is the 5 computer sync limit (A concern for someone with 5 iOS devices) and the restrictions it imposes on software developers regarding access to various parts of the iPhone.

The release of iOS6 has really tipped me over the edge.
Every OS comes with bloatware and iOS is no exception.
I've created a special folder for these apps on my iPhone... such as compass, weather, voice recorder, videos, game center etc to get them out of the way. I have 3rd party apps which are superior.

Back when iOS5 was released, it introduced "Newsstand" which I found particularly annoying because it's something I'd never use and Apple requires me to keep it on my desktop and won't allow me to hide it in a folder along with all their other bloatware. I guess they just want me to buy my magazines from them through their iTunes store.

So iOS 6 comes along with it's new set of bloatware, the most annoying is "Passbook" which is also required to remain on a desktop. I am not a twitter or facebook user so chock those up for more useless bloatware. Apple has required me to create a new desktop, swiped all the way over on the Right to house all the useless things they require me to have.

There's other Apple policies I find rather annoying which diminish the experience of an otherwise wonderful hardware invention.

So I am looking and researching all my options, and the Samsung Galaxy S3 is very appealing. It's not Apple, a major selling point.
I'm still a month or so away from coming to a decision.

Thanks for reading.
-Steve

Hi Steve! You do bring up several good points that I, also, find disheartening about the iPhone and Apple. However, NONE of these things affect the overal performance or appeal of the iPhone itself. Seeing that you've listed several negative aspects of the iPhone and Apple.... give us a few things that you like about the iPhone. Perhaps that'll help you weigh out your decision to jump ship?

Steve - I am with you. I just bought a 4S and it is my first iPhone, although I have an iPad2 and find that the iPhone is just a mini-iPad with phone capabilities. I too, find passbook and newsstand a real annoyance. When I first got my iPad, I subscribed to a few free subscriptions, then found out it was not for me, so I moved it to the far right on a screen just for my undesirable bloatware apps. If that weren't bad enough, now I get update notifications about every week from one of the free subscriptions. I posted on an iPad forum a quesion how to delete and/or stop the subscription ads, and found out that there is no way to do that. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy 2, and I am kind of wishing I had gotten the SG 3.

In the iPhone's defence, it does most things very well and has a huge amount of apps that are available. BTW, the reason I ended up with the iPhone 4S is that there is a software way to access our company's network so I can get company email when traveling. Apparently, no other smart phone is able to do that - another plus for the iPhone.

As someone who has used both platforms (IOS & Android) I understand some of what you're saying. However, if you don't like what you call bloatware on the Iphone (something I've never thought of the Iphone having), there is a lot more on the S3. The only way around it is root the phone, which is something you may want to do anyway.

Thank you for the replies.

The attributes I've always liked about iPhone, including up to my version 4 and iOS6:
* Stability. I recall a couple apps across the years which had caused the phone to crash and reboot, but was caused by a 3rd party developer and was sorted out. Sometimes I've had mysterious battery drainage issues, but then again I believe it was caused by a rogue 3rd party app. But overall it has been extremely reliable.
* It is simple and easy to use.
* It's became an extension of my main computer. I haven't really used my pocket digital camera or camcorder since I've had the iPhone 4.
* The iPhone is cool. Hands down a beautiful thing to see and everyone recognizes it.
* Availability of accessories. The other day I was away from home and forgot my cord. I needed my navigator app for a couple hours with only 30% battery remaining. Stopped at CVS pharmacy and got a USB car adapter and cord for $15.

Attributes about Apple?
* Apps are checked for malware before becoming available through iTunes. But that's an Achilles heel because of their other development restrictions.

What don't I like about iPhone?
* No memory expansion
* Sometimes the Home button is difficult to be responsive. This has been an issue on all my iPhones. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue. Not a big problem, but is annoying from time to time.

My biggest issue here is with Apple which has become an enormous issue, and I could easily make a list surpassing all these positive attributes.
This is another one of my biggest issues with Apple. iCloud. I have never, and would never - EVER send my personal emails, contact lists, private photos, information, data etc etc etc to be stored on someone else's private server no matter how secure it is proposed to be. Not Apple, not any other backup service.

I have 5 iOS devices, 5 at&t data lines. When ever I download an app on my own iPhone 4, it also mysteriously appears and automatically installs on my son's iPhone 3gs. I find this a bit alarming, knowing that none of my iOS are iCloud enabled and none of us have ever signed up for the service. I have contacted Apple but have yet to have an answer/solution.

I have 5 iOS devices, 5 at&t data lines. When ever I download an app on my own iPhone 4, it also mysteriously appears and automatically installs on my son's iPhone 3gs. I find this a bit alarming, knowing that none of my iOS are iCloud enabled and none of us have ever signed up for the service. I have contacted Apple but have yet to have an answer/solution.
Auto downloads can be disabled in iOS 6.
Settings-->iTunes & App Stores.

These settings need to be set on each device you have.

Steve, I was in same situation as you. I do agree with you 100% regarding Apple and restrictions they put on iUsers. So three days ago I upgraded my iPhone to s3.

Well...I am exactly opposite of the OP...and BTW....I still maintain a couple G1's that are fully tricked out.

I find the Iphone a breath of fresh air...coming from android since they first came out...The ease of use..the layout..and even Itunes have been perfect for my usage so far..

To me the Iphone is seemless..in how it works.Stability..responsivness..value...all are part of my experiance..

Android (any of them)..this is not so.I've spent way too much free time having to make major changes on them just to get them to function as they should.

Yes..folks do a great deal more latitude when developing apps for android...but..they are not all seemless..and many don't work properly out the door..since there is no checks for this to happen on it. All the major carriers have bloatware...some more than others..and you can forget about removing it completely unless you unlock it..and change bootloaders on it...and then add custom roms and themes..and you will need to use some very archic means to do just this..and you won't have a restore button to fall back on like Apple has.

Let's not forget one thing...if you think all is peaches and cream with the new G3...think again...cause it is not...there is just as much frustration from a lot of folks who couldn't wait and bought them...only to find out they have the dreaded battery issues with them..wi-fi connection issue...dead pixles issues..and all the other issues many users are reporting..Been there...Done that...took back 3 new out of the box units because of the wi-fi and battery issues...so..just be aware of it...

For many folks..like myself and FWIW this group is growing expotionally everyday...we have had our fill of (real) buggy phones..not just a map app..lack of timely promised updates that may or may not never come..tons of bloatware that can't be removed with out rooting the phone..and a host of others issues that always follow the android platform..Yes..it does have it's perks..but..for many of us the bad outweighs any good and why we jumped ship and landed here..The only thing I miss about the G3 is that big screen...it was nice...but..in my reality...my 32 gig 4S with IOS6 is a great tool that I can count on each and everytime I use it...On the other hand...my androids were toys..very cheaply built toys...that may( and would more times than they should) lock up and freeze when I needed them the most..

Sure...Apple has some issues they need to straighten out...and I have no doubts they will...It ain't perfect like Steve wanted it to be...and I am quite sure they are hearing from a ton of long time users that want them to get it back to where it needs to be..Android...and in paticular Samsung...uses all of it's customers as beta testers for every phone they sell..and believe me...just having to jump through all the hoops to fix their know issues is way more of a pain..than what Apple is doing...The G3 is a nice phone when it works perfectly..and has a lot of features..that is for sure...if you want all of their new stuff...but I can tell you...alot of it is gimmicky...

Good luck on whatever you do..

Mac