What's new

Tim Cook Issues Personal Apology for Apple Maps

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
8398-ios-6-maps-complaints.JPG

It’s not often that Apple apologises, or indeed even comments on the various controversies that frequently emerge about their products, so when Apple actually does issue an official public apology, you know it’s a big deal, and then some! Now, with today’s public statement by Tim Cook regarding what many consider to be the Apple Maps epic fail, it seems that Apple has fully taken on board that its customers are not best pleased. SlashGear reports that Cook has taken the step of posting an open letter on Apple’s website, in which he says that Apple is “extremely sorry”, and then goes on to give a detailed explanation of just why the situation occurred, as well as even going so far as to suggest alternatives, including Google web maps! Here’s the full text of the letter:

To our customers,
At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.
We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.
There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.
While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.
Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.
Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO

Source: Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes for Apple Maps fiasco - SlashGear

So, I can use Google Maps with my iPhone? But who does the navigation? How exactly does that work?

Right now I simply press and hold the main button, say "Naviagte to (whereever)" and maps and navigation comes up. What would I do different?

So, I can use Google Maps with my iPhone? But who does the navigation? How exactly does that work?

Right now I simply press and hold the main button, say "Naviagte to (whereever)" and maps and navigation comes up. What would I do different?

From what I've read you can use Google maps by access via mobile Safari which still supports Google maps. One caveat, no voice by voice turns.

There are several apps a (free and paid) that do provide voice turn.

From what I've read you can use Google maps by access via mobile Safari which still supports Google maps. One caveat, no voice by voice turns.

There are several apps a (free and paid) that do provide voice turn.

Well, I rely primarily on voice, not maps. I'll just use iPhones navigation.

Waze is a decent temp solution if the iOS 6's map data is really that bad in your area. I used to use that on my iPad for navigation and never had a problem.

In the few short months I used Waze, it led me to wrong entrances of businesses, one full street away off, and was really bad about putting corner houses 1/4 mile off.

I have to say, I'm getting a bit tired of the over the top complaints about the map app. It is a first release. And with the amount of territory covered, there was absolutely ZERO possibility of it releasing trouble free. It will refine and improve. And before I hear a thing about Google Maps on Android, I've had Android and still do. And their updates periodically break the Maps app on there also. So please, grow up and realize technology isn't perfect. There was no way it was going to get release perfect. That doesn't happen. And is completely impossible. Give them time to develop it and work around it in the meantime. Life goes on.

I too am tired of hearing about the maps i have a it on my iPad 3 and have no issues whatsoever, secondly the dock connector on the iPhone 5 being changed theres no reason to complain what were they using that for 10 years? You had plenty of time with you current accessories not to mention they needed to save space to improve other things and it was out of date 10 years is a long time for any company to keep the same design on anything!

Exactly. There are adapters that can be used. Not like all the accessories are obsolete. I'd say ten years between changing connectors is rather impressive.

schoff0310 said:
Mapquest. In App Store. Turn by turn with voice. Woks great.

Second that.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Well, I downloaded Google maps but I don't see a turn by turn voice there. Google doesn't have one? Is mapquest the way to go?

Mapquest works really good.

Hey moderator I asked if there was no turn to turn voice directions in Google Maps and this is what you give me? Wow, I would have googled the question and gave the member the answer. If I was the moderator that is. :)