What's new

Tim Cook Email Explains Why Apple Won't Help Hack Shooter's iPhone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
tim-cook-apple-logo-thinking.jpg

Apple CEO, Tim Cook acknowledged the latest drama surrounding the Apple's refusal to unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone. Cook sent out an email to Apple employees explaining the tough position they are facing. He shared that “it does not feel right” to refuse to help the FBI hack the iPhone used by the terrorist in the mass shootings; however, he explained that complying with the demand would threaten data security for millions, and would also threaten “everyone’s civil liberties.”

Cook reassured employees in the email, "“We have no tolerance or sympathy for terrorists. When they commit unspeakable acts like the tragic attacks in San Bernardino, we work to help the authorities pursue justice for the victims.” Then he reiterated the alternative, that hacking the iPhone would risk the “security of hundreds of millions of law-abiding people.”

He elaborated by sharing that “Apple is a uniquely American company. It does not feel right to be on the opposite side of the government in a case centering on the freedoms and liberties that government is meant to protect.” But he said, “this case is about much more than a single phone or a single investigation, so when we received the government’s order we knew we had to speak out.”

The difficulty in this case stems from the fact that in order for Apple to comply with the FBI's request, Apple would have to code an entirely new version of iOS that would act as a "master key" to all other versions of iOS on Apple devices. Besides the fact that this would obviously be a major ethical breach for Apple, and besides the fact that it would basically invalidate Apple's reputation as a secure ecosystem, there is another problem if Apple were to capitulate.

Apple also explained how unsafe it would be for Apple to have and hold on to this “master key” once it is created. Cook explained that even if Apple did its best to protect the technology, Apple “would be relentlessly attacked by hackers and cybercriminals.”

Basically, if Apple created this hacked skeleton key for all iOS devices, it would be like creating an ultra-powerful cyber super-weapon which could be exploited to undermine security for future generations of Apple device users. If that weapon ever fell into the wrong hands the result could be catastrophic. Apple shared that “The only way to guarantee such a powerful tool isn’t abused and doesn’t fall into the wrong hands is to never create it.”

Source: Yahoo

Now the families of the victims are going to suing Apple as well. They are in a tough situation and unfortunately the majority of people just don't understand the implications of this. They see Apple as 'protecting' the terrorists and don't want to hear anything else. Can't say I blame them though. Apple is on the right side of this thing, but it doesn't change how a lot of people think about this whole ordeal

On a side note, I read that had the password not been changed they could have gotten the info they were looking for.

Now the families of the victims are going to suing Apple as well. They are in a tough situation and unfortunately the majority of people just don't understand the implications of this. They see Apple as 'protecting' the terrorists and don't want to hear anything else. Can't say I blame them though. Apple is on the right side of this thing, but it doesn't change how a lot of people think about this whole ordeal

On a side note, I read that had the password not been changed they could have gotten the info they were looking for.
Yes. It was actually the FBI's fault that they are in this position now. Their own protocol created this situation. They should have taken things more slowly with their investigation and contacted Apple immediately before doing anything with the device.

I'm very glad that Apple is taking this stand. It's necessary to protect us, their users and customers. The government is trying to be heavy handed and is using a tragedy to try and slip it past everyone. Shameful.

Someone please help me understand this. The terrorists are dead, right? We're not counting on this information to prosecute them, right?

I believe that the FBI has every intention of using this software key, if Apple complies, whenever it pleases. This terrorists iPhone is just the excuse they're using to justify their demands.

Someone please help me understand this. The terrorists are dead, right? We're not counting on this information to prosecute them, right?
I don't believe the FBI cares what information is on the iPhone. This case is just the excuse to get a master key for getting past iPhone passcode encryption.

I imagine its to see how they were connected to ISIS and to prevent future similar terrorist attacks... or at least that's what they would have us believe...

What information can the FBI get from this iPhone anyways? All phone call logs and text messages can easily be retrieved from the cell company itself.

The only thing I can think of that can't be retrieved from the cell company is iMessages and FaceTime video/audio.

What about anything connected to social media? which includes GPS, hobbies, friends, correspondence, web history, etc.

There's also the possibility of notes, PDFs, and other documents on the iPhone.

@DrumsOfGrohl - they can get the Social Media info from the reverse angle by going directly to those social media outlets... much easier to gather info from that direction for those. Web history can probably be retrieved elsewhere as well. GPS is the only one of those I can think of that would only be found on the phone and that is of questionable value without foreknowledge.

@scifan57 - those are all good points, but we have no way of knowing if there is anything valuable or even remotely useful on the phone until after it is hacked. Therein lies the conundrum... do we take the chance of completely invalidating Apple's carefully crafted security measures, undermine their reputation, potentially expose millions of people to a huge security risk, and trample on personal freedoms, just for the possibility of finding useful info on some crazy folks who are already dead? It would be a comical tragedy of epic proportions if all that was on the phone was cat videos and a secret subscription to AshleyMadison.

If the FBI is really just looking for connections to other terrorists groups or individuals, it seems like we can get that info from various other methods, without this heavy handed solution.