What's new

Throttling 4g LTE

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Maybe this has already been answered.
I had an iPhone 4 (3g)with grandfathered unlimited data plain which after using 3gigs of data gets throttled to unusable speeds. It was my understanding that phones on 4g are allowed 5 gigs before getting throttled.
An AT&T rep told me that upgrading to the iPhone 4S would still be throttled after 3gigs because it was not 4g LTE.

Long story short, I upgraded to the iPhone 5 which runs 4G LTE. But I'm now being told by another AT&T rep that even the 4g LTE will be throttled after 3 gigs. Is that true or should I now get 5gig before getting throttled?

I've deleted the second thread you started for this same question. Besides fragmenting any resulting conversations, making them hard to follow, duplicate posting is against our rules.

So after u used up all your gigs AT&T turns your lte in to 4g

So after u used up all your gigs AT&T turns your lte in to 4g

Lol 4g? Not it even close. 3G isn't even close. The speed is reduced to dial up speeds (on a bad day)
basically it gets so slow it's unusable. And I think that's the point. It's so slow you really can't use any more. To load a web page, type in the address, go to the bathroom, make coffee, have a cigarette and maybe it will be done when you get back.

Last edited:
I got this in the support section of the AT&T site:
[h=2]Smartphone unlimited data plans and reduced speeds[/h]

Unlimited data plans are only available for non-smartphones. If you have an existing unlimited data plan for your smartphone, here's what you need to know about changing data plans and adding devices, as well as some tips for avoiding reduced data speeds.

• If you switch your smartphone unlimited data plan to another data plan, you won't be able to switch back to the unlimited data plan. To learn more, refer to our Smartphone Data Plan Requirement and Grandfathering Policy.
  • If you have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan and you add another smartphone to your account, you'll have to select a data plan for the new smartphone, but your original smartphone will keep its unlimited data plan.
  • Use Wi-Fi on your device whenever you can, especially for streaming video, which consumes huge amounts of data. If you're connected via Wi-Fi, your data activity doesn't count toward your data allowance.
  • Monitor your data usage and avoid using 3GB or more in one billing cycle on a 3G or 4G smartphone (5GB or more on a 4G LTE smartphone). Check your data usage anytime by calling *3282# (*DATA#) from your smartphone.

Lol 4g? Not it even close. 3G isn't even close. The speed is reduced to dial up speeds (on a bad day)
basically it gets so slow it's unusable. And I think that's the point. It so slow you really can't use any more. To load a web page, type in the address, go to the bathroom, make coffee, have a cigarette and maybe it will be done when you get back.

😦😪😤😒 what the ........

Mine is still unlimited. It was grandfathered in. Had the same plan since iPhone 3- carried over in subsequent upgrades. When I check data use it still says xxMb of Unlimited. With the iPhone 5 I now get 5 gig before throttling occurs.

There have been a number of court cases on this that have been found in favor of the user but it's not practical for the average user to pursue.

The simple fact is AT&T is using throttling to as a way to stop users with unlimited plains from using unlimited data. And I understand why they are doing it. There's nothing that guarantees a set speed for the entirety of your plain.

They pretty much have us by the balls. 3 or 5gig for $30/month is still a decent deal but it's "unlimited" in title only.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could read what I posted for you rather than standing on your soapbox. It answered your question, and stated the throttling point is 5GB for 4GLTE. If this doesn't work for you, TMobile seems to have some great deals going on with unlimited data as a part of it.

Perhaps you could read what I posted for you rather than standing on your soapbox. It answered your question, and stated the throttling point is 5GB for 4GLTE. If this doesn't work for you, TMobile seems to have some great deals going on with unlimited data as a part of it.

Yes I saw and read your post. Thanks btw. But we are past that now. The last post was not directed to you it was for Jrome and other readers and was more of a complaint. I suspect you have a reading comprehension problem. I can suggest schools and online courses for that.

Just because AT&T changes a policy doesn't make it right.

This link is a bit more informative on the subject
Data Usage Information & FAQs from AT&T

Last edited:
😳..... Breaks open popcorn this is getting interesting