What's new

Thinking of switching

Caleb9849

Reaction score
First of all, I'm new here, hello everyone :)

So I'm an Androidian, eligible to upgrade my phone with Verizon, and considering getting an iPhone 4. I really love my phone's (original Motorola Droid) hardware, but I *really* hate the Android OS (extremely unstable) and the Android app market (full of total crap, very lacking in good apps, and even some of the really staple apps like Facebook and YouTube kind of suck). I have an iPod Touch and I love the Apple app market (as long as it hasn't changed too much in the years since I've really taken a good look at it), and since my iPod Touch is in good condition and an iPhone would obsolete it, I could probably sell it for a significant chunk of my iPhone purchase price.

But there are a few things I really love about my Droid, and I'd like to ask some human beings what I'd find the equivalent to be on an iPhone 4. :)

For one thing, even if I've got my phone blank, muted, and not even vibrating, I still know when I have text, email, etc. because there is a small LED above the screen which lights up when something comes in, and most importantly, stays lit until I've looked at it. I can even set it to different colors for different sorts of notifications (I have it orange for texts and blue for emails). It's very handy in situations where my phone can't be making a ruckus but I'd like to be reminded -- *in a continuous way* -- if I have notifications. Is there anything that achieves that goal on the iPhone?

Another thing I really do love about my current phone is its voice navigation system. The voice is certainly no Majel Barret (for any Trekkies here :) ) but I still like to use it, and what I *really* love about it is that I can run voice navigation and music at the same time -- if it comes time for an instruction to be given to me, my music is temporarily faded out, it tells me what to do, and then my music is faded right back in. Can the iPhone do that? Even if I have to do some kind of software hack to make it happen, that's fine, as long as it will do it (and reliably).

Hm, I thought I had more stuff, but I think those two points are really the big deals for me. Also, just to make sure, can anyone tell me if I can expect "seamless" mp3 playback on the iPhone 4, as I have experienced with other Apple products? What this means is that there is absolutely no pause between consecutive tracks; they are essentially faded together from the end of the first track into the start of the second track. This may sound ridiculous if you are unfamiliar with certain concept albums / rock operas (of which I listen to many) where a transition from track to track does not necessarily mean a break in the sound/music. Every Apple product I've used before (all two of them: Nano and iPod Touch) *did* have seamless playback worked in by default :), so I would expect that from an iPhone 4, but if anyone can confirm that for me, it would be great.

Any feedback on these things and what the difference would be on an iPhone 4 would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Caleb,

I, like you, am an Android user having the original Moto Droid that I purchased with a new contract in December of 2009. I have been eligible for upgrade since the end of August but had waited until the newest iPhone announcement to make my decision. I have been with Verizon since 2004 and this is the first opportunity to upgrade to the phone I've always wanted. My brother is also with Verizon but he was able to upgrade to an iPhone 4 this past April. He loves it and I've messed with in on several occasions and absolutely LOVE it.

I'm also a 1st generation iPod touch user - still works fairly well today with an older OS version - and going back and forth between the iPod touch and the Droid, my 2007-bought iPod outperforms my phone on almost every level. No, there's no camera or the ability to make a phone call on the iPod, but I personally like the interface much better. And comparing my brother's iPhone 4 with my Droid... oh my gosh, it's night and day. I even tested phone call quality between the two calling my dad - better sound on both ends on the iPhone.

That being said, I pre-ordered the iPhone 4s this past Friday morning and am counting down the minutes until my new iPhone gets delivered to my door. My Droid is so laggy and slow and I really can't stand using it anymore. Like you, I do think I'll miss the LED light notifications and I happen to use the GPS turn by turn navigation system that comes with the phone (which is what sold me on it in the first place) but after 2 years of use and being frustrated with everything but the phone calls, I can't wait to get the new iPhone. In addition, I really dislike the camera on the Droid and it is SO slow to take photos or videos. Comparing photos with the iPhone 4 (sorry I don't have samples to post here now) it's unbelievable seeing how different the two 5MP cameras are.

I'm sorry that I can't really comment on the music playback that you ask about, but I really dislike the music player on my Droid right now. It constantly has this random "skip" that it does on each track and I've never been able to figure out the issue. (using the phone's default music player app.) So, given that I've never heard my brother complain or having issues with my iPod touch's music player, I think it'll be just fine.

So, I would say, yes - do the upgrade and I believe you will be extremely happy! :) I know you said iPhone 4 instead of 4s, and I almost chose the $99/8GB option myself - but I recently sold my iPad 1 in order to pay for the new phone and since I had a bit of extra $$ I chose the 16GB 4s over the 32GB 4, which were the options I set for myself. Same price for each of those, but I chose the 4s just because I'm really intrigued by the Siri feature!

So...does anyone know if the iPhone 4S "has" turn by turn navigation like my Sprint EVO did. I do know that the iPhone is not coming with the Sprint "extras" that all Sprint phones come with...but is there like a "Tom-Tom" app that has Voice Turn by Turn...or something similar? I like hearing where to turn and when to turn....save me from having to take my eyes off the road in an unfamiliar area.

So...does anyone know if the iPhone 4S "has" turn by turn navigation like my Sprint EVO did. I do know that the iPhone is not coming with the Sprint "extras" that all Sprint phones come with...but is there like a "Tom-Tom" app that has Voice Turn by Turn...or something similar? I like hearing where to turn and when to turn....save me from having to take my eyes off the road in an unfamiliar area.

I use TOM TOM and that has turn by turn and thats for iphone 4 so yes it should.

G'day and welcome to the forum!!! :)