What's new

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure?

I did the untethered JB via Absinthe on my 4s running 5.0.1 and I did a backup via iTunes before the break as instructed in the JB tutorial but I still have a few questions:

1. Is it "safe" to backup to iCloud on a JB device or are the Apple police going to come after me when and if I try to get service in the future under the Apple Care+ protection plan?

2. Is it possible to sync my iPhone using iTunes now that it has been JB'ed? (I haven't even tried yet to be honest)

3. If I ever need to get service on Apple Care+, what are the steps to restore via iTunes? Do I just click sync or is there another button in iTunes I click?

4. Does restore mean that my phone will be set back to the way it was right before I JB'ed or does it mean it will be set back to factory settings and that I will have to re-sync after a factory re-set?

Thanks!

BTW, I am loving the transparent status bar, transparent dock, no icon labels, and transparent folders! I am such a minimalist! I also love, love this forum for spoon feeding me through the baby steps! You guys and gals are the best!

1. Is it "safe" to backup to iCloud on a JB device or are the Apple police going to come after me when and if I try to get service in the future under the Apple Care+ protection plan?
it's safe to backup to iCloud same as backing up with iTunes. Apple policies are not going to know by anyway that you have jailbreak your iPhone if you backup to iCloud, if they do, then it means that at some point, they are viewing your iCloud backup files and so they breaking your privacy. They only way they can know that you are using a jailbreak iPhone is if you go to them with a jailbreak iPhone, that's why it's advice to factory restore before taking your iPhone to Apple so they can't know.

2. Is it possible to sync my iPhone using iTunes now that it has been JB'ed? (I haven't even tried yet to be honest)
It's 100% possible to sync your iPhone to iTunes just they way you were doing it prior the jailbreak.

3. If I ever need to get service on Apple Care+, what are the steps to restore via iTunes? Do I just click sync or is there another button in iTunes I click?
you connect your iPhone to your computer iTunes, highlight your iPhone and go to summary tab and hit "restore" iTunes will do the rest.

4. Does restore mean that my phone will be set back to the way it was right before I JB'ed or does it mean it will be set back to factory settings and that I will have to re-sync after a factory re-set?
it means that the iPhone will be set to factory settings and you will have to re sync everything after doing a factory restore.

If you want to taste the best of your iPhone then you should definitely jailbreak it as there is no harm in giving it a try and if you do not like it or your phone has a problem with jailbreaking then you can totally revert it back and your phone will be back to normal So...

Advantage - Everything

Disadvantage - None

I did it earlier already restoring it to original don't know if I did something wrong . Maybe I'll try it another time .

I did it earlier already restoring it to original don't know if I did something wrong . Maybe I'll try it another time .

well if you ever decide you will give it a try again then let us know more details of what happened and we can help you fix any issues or problems.

I have added a short video as well of the tweaks in action on the first page

well if you ever decide you will give it a try again then let us know more details of what happened and we can help you fix any issues or problems.

I have added a short video as well of the tweaks in action on the first page[/QUOTE

Seems like it taking for ever to restore I won't be jailbraking it again anytime soon . I watched the video you posted it was very informative thanks .

Hello There :)My name is Phresh and i have a couple questions. I hear my friends always saying ''dont hack your iphone you gone ***Moderation Notice: Please watch your language!*** it up'' and ''jailbreaking it only makes your phone slower'' but after watching 100 reasons to jailbreak your iphone, im sorta reconsidering. I would just like to know the long-term effects on my phone like if it would start moving slower than non jailbreaked or is it faster? Is the risk worth it? Is the risk beneficial? I Just want to get all these questions out the way beforehand, as for i dont want to rush into anything and in the end i feel like the fool or something. I Just got the iPhone 4S 5.1 (9B179). Also, are the 5.1's even jailbreak compatible?Thanks for ALL the help and sorry if this question was asked before, but id rather be safe than sorry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I Just got the iPhone 4S 5.1 (9B179). Also, are the 5.1's even jailbreak compatible? Thanks for ALL the help and sorry if this question was asked before, but id rather be safe than sorry :)
Unfortunately no... there isn't a JB yet for the 4S on iOS 5.1.

Your so right man. :)
Guess im just jumpy because im back in apple's hands.
Been a while since i stopped jailbreaking cuz i lost my ipod touch 4g. =/

@Thomasjtsi:
Being that there isint a JB for it, should i downgrade to an older firmware or patiently wait for my version?
Also, do you know the release date for this version?

Last edited:
phreshgunz said:
@Thomasjtsi:
Being that there isint a JB for it, should i downgrade to an older version or patiently wait for my version?
Also, do you know the release date for this version?

The only way you can downgrade, is if you have your SHSH blobs saved from a previous iOS version, but I'd wait for the 5.1 jailbreak. That's just me though!

The devs haven't made an ETA. They rarely do. It should be soon though. :)

Being that there isint a JB for it, should i downgrade to an older firmware or patiently wait for my version?Also, do you know the release date for this version?
Downgrading is an option if you have SHSHs saved for your iDevice. Download a program called TinyUmbrella and run it to see what SHSHs you have available and let us know. As far as release date... no one ever knows until fairly close to that time. We know the Devs are working on it though.