What's new

The Useless Information Thread

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
December this year has 5 Saturdays,5 Sundays and 5 Mondays and as far as I know that won't happen again until 2018......
Well I did say it was useless :)

Wasn't that useless to me. Brought some interesting scheduling my way. Haha.

Poisonivy said:
December this year has 5 Saturdays,5 Sundays and 5 Mondays and as far as i know that won't happen again until 2018......Well i did say it was useless :)

Totally useless, Ivy. All those weekends and only 4 pay days.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

The lowest possible temperature is 0°K, or -273.15°C. At this theoretical minimum all motion stops. One element has a surprise in store though. You might think that every element would freeze to a solid, but helium remains liquid. It has long been theorized that hydrogen would be metallic in its solid state, and recent research seems to bear this out.

Anyway. That's my bit of useless info.

The lowest possible temperature is 0°K, or -273.15°C. At this theoretical minimum all motion stops. One element has a surprise in store though. You might think that every element would freeze to a solid, but helium remains liquid. It has long been theorized that hydrogen would be metallic in its solid state, and recent research seems to bear this out.

Anyway. That's my bit of useless info.

I find that quite interesting, since I study physics. Helium remains liquid? Wowsers!

ardchoille said:
I find that quite interesting, since I study physics. Helium remains liquid? Wowsers!

If you like that, you'll love the superfluid behavior of liquid helium at temperatures near absolute zero. It will flow right through a plug of jewelers rouge. I could sit for hours watching low temperature physics.

Helium remains liquid, by the way, because of its very weak interatomic forces. It would take huge pressure as well as extremely low temperature to solidify it.

Hydrogen solidifies at around 14°K.

Chemistry this time.

Salt (sodium chloride) is a compound of a poisonous gas and a flammable metal.

Aye, pure sodium reacts violently with water, causing an explosion.

May as well give biology a turn.

In January 2009, the Pyrenean Ibex became the first taxon ever to become "un-extinct", for roughly seven minutes, when a cloned female was born alive, before dying from lung defects.

ardchoille said:
Aye, pure sodium reacts violently with water, causing an explosion.

That's right. The reaction is so violent that the water molecules are ripped apart, whereupon the hydrogen burns explosively. Cesium (another alkali metal) does an even better job. It is even more reactive than sodium.