What's new

The iPhone 5S & 5C Sold Out in China; Long lines & Low Inventory in U.S. & Japan

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone-5s-colors-side-by-side.jpg

Just as we predicted, the sales of the next generation iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C were phenomenal in China. All versions of the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C are already sold out in China. Long lines are already forming in the U.S. and Japan as the device will go on sale on Friday, September 20th. Although the phone is sold out in China already, this won't affect shipments in other countries, as each region already has a specific allotment.

Speaking of that allotment. We also have industry intel that the initial sales inventory numbers for the new iPhone 5S in the U.S. will be much lower than in the past. The folks getting in line early in New York may have a good idea this time around as the iPhone 5S is expected to sell out quickly. In China, the gold and silver versions of the iPhone 5S sold out first. Here's a quote with some of the reasons why the inventory is a lower this time around,

A couple of new developments have popped up just days before the launch of the Apple iPhone 5s and Apple iPhone 5c. As we told you earlier, Apple is officially launching the pair at 3:01 am Eastern Daylight Time Friday morning. And sources for the major U.S. carriers are beginning to sound worried about low inventory levels for the Apple iPhone 5s. One source from a U.S. carrier said, "We will have grotesquely unavailable inventory."

Over the last few days, we have passed along a couple of stories indicating that low yields of a chip used for the fingerprint sensor and the low yields of a camera lens module could be holding back shipments of the full-featured iPhone to carriers. But another source from a different carrier says that the lower than expected supply of iPhone 5s units will be met with lower than expected demand for the phone as many buyers have been turning to the mid-range, more colorful Apple iPhone 5c. The additional colors have become a problem for the carriers as each one tries to figure out which shades will be more popular.

Sound off if you plan to order your new iPhone online or if you plan to wait in line at a retail store.

Source: PhoneArena

Putting the online orders up at 2AM central means I am going to miss that window and releasing on a workday is going to keep me from getting the two iPhone 5S I want on launch. I'll drive by my local Verizon store around 7:30 am, on my way to work, to see just how bad the lines are. Shame too. Was really looking forward to having them for the weekend.

Personally I think the 5C is only going to sell well because of the lack of 5S inventory not because it is more "in demand".