What's new

The iPhone 5 is cheaper to assemble than the Samsung Galaxy S4

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
$Galaxy_S4_Teardown.jpg

There have been countless comparisons made between the Samsung Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5 and here’s the latest. Samsung’s newest phone has been taken apart piece by piece and the people doing it, found that, all in all, the Galaxy S4 costs more to make than its fiercest competitor.

Other interesting details surfaced with the part analyzing study conducted by HIS iSupply. For example, on the market there are two available versions of the Galaxy S4 – the US one and the Korean one. The research estimated that the two versions have two different assembly prices. The US one offered by AT&T was built for $237 while the Korean version has been manufactured for $252.

Where does the difference in price come from? First off, the American version’s processor is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quad-core CPU manufactured for $20 while the Korean one is a Samsung Exynos 5 Octa that comes at $28. The most expensive part of the Galaxy S4 is its display, which is a Super AMOLED 441-pixel-density and features Gorilla Glass 3. As opposed, the cheapest part turns out to be the power management components that are only $9 to make.

In the Apple camp, manufacturing an iPhone 5 costs just about $205, but the sum varies according to carriers and such. The prices posted by HIS iSupply only cover the hardware and software expenses, so the R&D part of the process is left out. With that added we might be moving very close to the retail price.

Source: AllThingsD

of course the iphone is cheaper to make looks at the parts that are in it. which the iphone doesn't have
1. nfc chip
2. ir blaster,
3. micro sd card slot
4. gorolla glass III
5. a better screen with better resolution and more pixels per in. so it's kinda like a double retina
6. bigger battery. bigger battiers cost more
7. 13mp camera
8. l.e.d. notifier i.e. not a camera flash
i guess i'll stop right their for now. but i could go on forever

4. The iPhone 5 has gorilla glass 3.
5. The iPhone has a retina screen which is better period. Look close at both and you will see pixels on the s4.
6. Yep due to poor battery management.
7. iPhone has better lenses. Pixels are a selling factor and that is all. Like a Canon 30d with its low pixels can take awesome pictures. It's all in the lenses not the mp.

Build quality period blows the s4 out.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

1. hate to bust your bubble but the current iphone does not have GG3. as many member here can atest. or you can just google it.
2. the iphone 5 screen is not better than the GS4 screen the iphone 5 screen is way more pixelaed than the GS4 not to mention it's a bigger.
3. the GS4 has better battery life than any iphone ever made so far.
iphone 5 talk time 8 hrs, GS4 17. iphone 5 staandby time 225 hrs, GS4 standby time 300 hrs

i will say this tho. even tho is hasn't been proven by me. i do think the iphone5 does have a better build quality. so i guess 1 out of 4 is not that bad.

see for yourself which screen has the less pixelation. i vote goes to the iphone5 as having more pixelation

1. Gg3 is on the s4. But not as strong as the iPhone 5 on drop tests with gg2. See YouTube for proof.

2. Sorry what pixels? I see none on the iPhone 5.

3. It has almost twice the size battery so yeah that is sad it only lasts a hair longer per numbers but in reality it doesn't.

Also on the screens posting. Biased YouTube video link from an android site is not good. I had a s3, note 2 and the screens were great but not iphone clarity. I owned them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsung can never match iphone. Iphone has a better form factor than samsung, and thats what matters. If i wanted such a huge screen than i would buy a tablet.

i agree with you on GS3 and note2 as far as the screen not being as good as the iphone. but were we not talking about the GS4 here? i their is no way your gonna tell me that the iphone5 screen is better than the GS4 cause i have both. and the GS4 is much clearer that the iphone. if you cannot tell the difference you need to see you eye doctor.

The note 2 screen is the Sam just bigger as the s4. Also the iPhone has a retina IPS display which are some of the best screens for monitors in the market. Amoled are close but do not touch it.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-iphone-5

Everything u see on the internet is true...huh truthseeker

Seems that way for those saying amoled is better than IPS. Lol

So you went from saying that the iphone 5 has GS3(which is wrong)
That the IP5's screen is better, which is very likely to be wrong.(just because the IP5 has a "retina" which is just a trademark by apple saying that the eye cannot see pixels on the screen) does not mean its better. 320ppi something pixels on a 4inch screen vs 440ppi something on a 5 inch screen is a huge difference. IPS vs AMOLED is STRICTLY personal preference. period.
The GS3 that I used to have before I went to the IP5, had better battery life vs the IP5 believe it or not. Think about where you are before you answer on this. On a forum were most people love to mess with there phones. So yes my GS3 was overlocked and undervolted with a special kernel and ROM for maximum battery life. I got 2 days out of my GS3, I get 1 day out of my IP5(which is fine).

In most cases less pixels are better... BUT before you mention a very old canon 30D(nothing wrong with it, i shoot my good ol 5Dc all the time), take a look at sonys RX100 with 22MP on a smaller sensor and the NEX7 with 24MP on a smaller sensor. Both have nearly the best 1inch/1.5 crop sensors ever made(as of now). The DR is through the roof on them.

I will say though, the sapphire glass lens was a nice touch on the IP5, never have to worry about the lens being scratched. Doesnt mean sapphire makes a good lens though....

To that IPS is better then AMOLED.....Please just stop....There is no coming back from you original post.....As soon as I read that the IP5 had GG3 I laugh my ass off.

Anyways.....all of your statements from your first post were disproved. There are still alot of people, like me, that love both android and OIS. The IP5 is a great phone, but in this market it is expected to get beat VERY fast. Which is a good thing. Innovation is good. The SG4 is a very very very good phone. Since it is brand new it is expected to be better vs the IP5 in alot of ways.

Have a good day

Last edited:
This is turning into Windows phone commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I guess because he owns a gs4 its the best. Lol

I havent seen a better picture in all honesty on a cell phone than a pic from an iphone5. Or the 4s. I have the 5 and dang between the screen or the pictures its full on HD to me fellas

I havent seen a better picture in all honesty on a cell phone than a pic from an iphone5. Or the 4s. I have the 5 and dang between the screen or the pictures its full on HD to me fellas

You should check out the Nokia 808 with its 41MP sensor. not the best phone, but it has the best camera in any phone to date. I hope to see more of this.

Review: Nokia 808 PureView: Digital Photography Review

There have been countless comparisons made between the Samsung Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5 and here’s the latest. Samsung’s newest phone has been taken apart piece by piece and the people doing it, found that, all in all, the Galaxy S4 costs more to make than its fiercest competitor.

Other interesting details surfaced with the part analyzing study conducted by HIS iSupply. For example, on the market there are two available versions of the Galaxy S4 – the US one and the Korean one. The research estimated that the two versions have two different assembly prices. The US one offered by AT&T was built for $237 while the Korean version has been manufactured for $252.

Where does the difference in price come from? First off, the American version’s processor is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quad-core CPU manufactured for $20 while the Korean one is a Samsung Exynos 5 Octa that comes at $28. The most expensive part of the Galaxy S4 is its display, which is a Super AMOLED 441-pixel-density and features Gorilla Glass 3. As opposed, the cheapest part turns out to be the power management components that are only $9 to make.

In the Apple camp, manufacturing an iPhone 5 costs just about $205, but the sum varies according to carriers and such. The prices posted by HIS iSupply only cover the hardware and software expenses, so the R&D part of the process is left out. With that added we might be moving very close to the retail price.

Source: AllThingsD

And a reasonable question is :which one of them is with better quality parts... ;)

Sent from iphone 5