What's new

tethering

tally

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm New to the forum and to the iphone. In fact, I don't have my iphone yet. I'm on a waiting list. But I do have a question which the salesman could not help me with. Does anyone know where I can get a cable for tethering the iphone5 to a USB on a PC for internet access? (my PC doesn't have WiFi) The salesman told me that the cable supplied with the iphone will only sync to itunes, and won't transmit web data to a PC. He said it only works with Mac computers.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers, Tally

tally said:
Hi,
I'm New to the forum and to the iphone. In fact, I don't have my iphone yet. I'm on a waiting list. But I do have a question which the salesman could not help me with. Does anyone know where I can get a cable for tethering the iphone5 to a USB on a PC for internet access? (my PC doesn't have WiFi) The salesman told me that the cable supplied with the iphone will only sync to itunes, and won't transmit web data to a PC. He said it only works with Mac computers.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers, Tally

The cable that comes w/ your iDevice is what you use for tethering.

You can't tether to a PC with the cable that comes with the iPhone. It's used for syncing with your computer and downloading content. It cannot be used to provide Internet access to a computer. Tethering allows the iPhone to create a personal hotspot and transmit a wifi signal that can be used by other wifi capable devices to connect to the Internet. If your PC has no wifi, it can't tether to your iPhone.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351311533.342235.jpg

Ok, lets get this thread back on track with some facts. Because I am writing this from my laptop while tethered to my iPhone 5 thru the supplied USB cable. The instructions are very simple.

1) Must have a Windows or Mac PC.
2) Install iTunes on the PC.
3) Launch iTunes.
4) Plug the iPhone 5 (4S or 4 will do this as well) with the supplied cable into any open USB port
5) Turn on Hot Spot.

And you are done. It took me all of 10 seconds after installing iTunes to be on my iPhone 5.

Being tethered is a "physical connection" between two objects. A Hot spot is just that a "hot spot" for wifi devices to connect to... not the physical connection.

View attachment 9119

Ok, lets get this thread back on track with some facts. Because I am writing this from my laptop while tethered to my iPhone 5 thru the supplied USB cable. The instructions are very simple.

1) Must have a Windows or Mac PC.
2) Install iTunes on the PC.
3) Launch iTunes.
4) Plug the iPhone 5 (4S or 4 will do this as well) with the supplied cable into any open USB port
5) Turn on Hot Spot.

And you are done. It took me all of 10 seconds after installing iTunes to be on my iPhone 5.

Skull One,
Thanks for the info. 2 questions about your instructions.
Is step 5 something I do on the PC, or the iphone, and how.
Does this work on a PC which does not have WiFi?
Thanks for any clarification.
That turned outto be 3 questions, didn't it.
Cheers, Tally

You turn on the "Personal Hotspot" on the iPhone for step 5 and the PC doesn't need anything other than the USB port. So a PC with no WiFi will work just fine. In fact in that test I had my WiFi switch set to off so that the PC couldn't even set it.

Skull One,

Thanks again. I think I've got it now. Looks like I'm all set To dump my home internet service and do it with the iphone. So, that's my plan. It will help offset the cost of the AT&T data plan for the iphone, and then I'll also dump my current basic cell phone and land line, and just about cover the expense of the smart phone contract. All I need now is to wait for my place in line for the iphone5. Sure hope it all works out as planned. I really appreciate the help.

Cheers, Tally

You turn on the "Personal Hotspot" on the iPhone for step 5 and the PC doesn't need anything other than the USB port. So a PC with no WiFi will work just fine. In fact in that test I had my WiFi switch set to off so that the PC couldn't even set it.

Okay - this is great! I've just had some questions answered without even asking! :) Thanks to the OP for initiating my own question and clearing some of the cobwebs.

But, still some remain..

I'm cool with the "tethering" - if I'm understanding correctly. Basically we are using our phone as a modem, right - that's kind of what "hotspot" means? It provides us with the path for the Internet connection to our PC or Mac?

My question then is this - the phone still needs either WiFi or a cellular signal (3G, 4G, LTE, etc) to complete that connection - right? So, as long as we are utilizing WiFi - we have no worries about using up expensive "data" (for those of us on tiered plans - no more unlimited data). And if we are not in range of any valid WiFi connection - we can still utilize the tethering to connect our PC or Mac to the Internet - but we will then be encroaching into our data usage - correct?

But if the PC or Mac has WiFi - and it's within range of a decent WiFi signal - why do we need the phone to connect to the Internet? What am I missing? Hmmm. Eliminating the cost of home (or office) internet supplier? But if I'm on a laptop and sitting in Starbucks - can't I just use the laptop with WiFi to connect without my cell? Geez. This didn't seem so complicated during the day. Guess the midnight pumpkin has got me going bonkers..

It is late, I'm not so young and certainly no geek (not a derogatory word). So be kind and patient with my questions if they appear to be dumb.. :)

Thanks - mike

I'm cool with the "tethering" - if I'm understanding correctly. Basically we are using our phone as a modem, right - that's kind of what "hotspot" means? It provides us with the path for the Internet connection to our PC or Mac?
Thanks - mike
Excuse me for editing your post but I can only deal with one part at a time
Look at it like this then re read the posts above
Modem. Brings stuff ( internet, phoneline) into your PC, phone, network etc
Hot Spot. Allows you to send that stuff out of your phone, PC, network etc. by wifi ( or cable or Bluetooth I think. Haven't tried Bluetooth )

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Ok when you turn on the "personal hotspot" feature all iOS devices turn OFF WiFi for its own use. At that point your iOS device is turned into a cellular only modem. And your iOS device will only show in the top left the cellular connection type.

Now you can connect to your iOS device using one of three connection types. Wired, Bluetooth, or WiFi.

You can not use the "personal hotspot" feature to pass a WiFi connection from an iOS device to any other device.

So if you tether your device to your iPhone, you will be using your cellular data allotment.

Basically think of tethering as having an "aircard". Tethering is your own personal mobile internet connection. When you enable your phone as a hotspot you are basically setting up an access point as if you had gone to Starbucks, Panera, McDonald's...(insert your own chain that offers free wifi). The only difference between the mobile hotspot and one of those locations is that you can take it anywhere.

Say you had a laptop, you son\daughter has an Ipod touch, another person has a laptop\ipad\droid tablet....you could go anywhere you wanted (as long as you have good signal) and all access the internet from any\all of those devices using the hotspot feature. Now say you stopped for lunch at one of the above noted chain food\coffee shops then you'd be better off turning off the hotspot and connecting to the chain's connection as you don't need to utilize your phones data (unless you have unlimited...then again it also eats away at your phones battery).

Hopefully that puts it into simple layman's terms.

Ok, Im trying to learn this: I still dont see any option to "Turn on Hotspot" Where on an iphone 5 is this selected, and what does itunes have to do with it?

Thanks

sqft said:
Ok, Im trying to learn this: I still dont see any option to "Turn on Hotspot" Where on an iphone 5 is this selected, and what does itunes have to do with it?

Thanks

It should be in your settings menu, right where this screenshot shows.

$image-1869912774.jpgIf it doesn't appear, you may have to contact your cellular carrier. The hotspot feature doesn't appear unless it's activated by them. Some carriers have an extra fee for activating the hotspot feature.