What's new

Tethering lost after upgrade OS

Bertvermaas

Reaction score
I have been using my 3gs for some time as internet modem thru the built-in tethering option. Because I travel a lot between all the islands of the caribbean for my work, using my phone with data-roaming is the ideal solution when in a strange airport.
Either connected straight to my laptop on the usb cable, using the device drivers that are being installed with iTunes, or connected to a wireless router (zoom).
This always worked when I had my phone on OS 4.0
however, after upgrading to 4.3 the phone will not connect anymore to the wireless router.
The tethering option still works, because straight to the laptop with the iTunes drivers it still works. But no way the router can connect anymore to the phone.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT APPLE MIGHT HAVE CHANGED THAT CAUSED THIS, LIKE THE PROTOCOLS USED OR SO???

I cant remember tethering being an option on 4.0?

On 4.3 tethering is called personal hotspot and needs to be enabled by your carrier. There is usually an extra charge for it...

gaz6076 said:
I cant remember tethering being an option on 4.0?

On 4.3 tethering is called personal hotspot and needs to be enabled by your carrier. There is usually an extra charge for it...

I was also surprised, but yes, it was available in my phone with 4.0, while the phone was NOT jailbroken. It was just legitimately unlocked, before it was send to Aruba. Maybe in the states the option is not available as long as your phone comp does not allow it?
Anyway, I used it for a long time. It was just called internet tethering in your network settings, not personal hotspot as it is called now. And as I already had an unlimited dataplan with my provider (Digicel), I did not have to pay anything additional, except naturally the stiff data-roaming charges when I was on another island.

I remember tethering being availible on the 3.xx firmware on my 3G and 3GS. I used to use it all the time. For some reason it was unlimited for me for no extra charge.

When I got my iPhone 4 I was surprised not to be able to find it. Now that 4.3 personal hotspot is out I have it free again. I don't have much use for it now except to tether the iPod for my daughter when in the car.

If you jailbreak you can download mywi for a one off fee that allows as much tethering as your data plan will allow...