What's new

Tether to Windows Vista?

philb

Reaction score
I tether my iphone 4s with my windows 7 laptop. However, when I try to tether with my windows vista desktop computer, it will not work. I have the latest version of itunes installed, but the Apple Mobile Device Ethernet driver will not install correctly. I get the message - "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". Any ideas on how can get the driver to install correctly and allow me to tether?

you might want to look up for that error code on a windows or a windows vista forum. That's going to be more helpful if you search in that direction i think.

Thanks for the note. I did post it on a Vista forum. However, this seems to be an apple mobile ethernet driver issue. The iphone works with itunes, storage device and so on. It just has an error on the apple mobile ethernet driver device and will not allow me to tether.

Not sure if you've come up with a solution to your problem or not yet, but one thing you might want to check is that you have the correct version of iTunes on your computer. Did you install the 64bit version when you have the 32bit version of Vista, or the other way around 32bit iTunes when you have 64bit Vista. Just something to check into.

philb said:
Thanks for the note. I did post it on a Vista forum. However, this seems to be an apple mobile ethernet driver issue. The iphone works with itunes, storage device and so on. It just has an error on the apple mobile ethernet driver device and will not allow me to tether.

It might be a small file corruption on your phone..(even tho it works on your other computer)....but I don't know. A restore just might fix it....and as always, never restore from a backup when the point of the restore is to fix a problem.

Also...try pretty much everything you can before restoring. Do that when your sick of looking for a fix.

I have never had this problem, but what I would try first is to look for the mobile Ethernet driver and "manually" reinstall.....instead of relying on the phone to do it....worth a shot. Post back..let us know;)