What's new

Syncing iphone with a different computer.

chantelle310

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, recently got rid of my laptop and bought a PC tower to use just for now and again use mostly for itunes and to store photos etc. My question is, I'm yet to sync my iPhone with this new PC.. As soon as i sync it will i lose all my data? Im not bothered about my music as i have it all saved and the same for pictures and videos i just don't want to lose my contacts, messages and installed apps etc.

chantelle310 said:
Hey guys and girls, recently got rid of my laptop and bought a PC tower to use just for now and again use mostly for itunes and to store photos etc. My question is, I'm yet to sync my iPhone with this new PC.. As soon as i sync it will i lose all my data? Im not bothered about my music as i have it all saved and the same for pictures and videos i just don't want to lose my contacts, messages and installed apps etc.

First...open iTunes...(do not have phone plugged in). Disable automatic syncing. This will ensure that iTunes does not delete everything on your phone.

In the top left:
Click "Edit"
Click "Prefernces"
Click "Devices".

Click and make sure there is a checkmark beside "Stop iPhones, iPods, and iPads from syncing automatically".

Make sure you click OK so that the changes Re saved. It is now safe to plug iPhone into iTunes.

Once phone is plugged into iTunes...authorize the computer. The prompt should show up as soon as you plug it in.

Now right click on your devices name. Click "Transfer Putchases".

Wait for that to finish. That will transfer all songs and apps to iTunes. (only songs bought on the iTunes store will transfer).

The only way you will lose messages and call logs is if you restore the device, and setup as new.

Contacts will never be deleted no matter what is long as Contacts is toggled on in Settings> iCloud.

Anything toggled on in Settings> iCloud will always be restored to your device even if you restore and setup as new device.

Just make sure that iCloud is the *only* account with Contacts toggled on. Meaning if you have any other email accounts on your device..make sure that Contacts is toggled OFF in all email accounts EXCEPT for iCloud.

Why do you have to have contacts in other accounts toggled off? I have iCloud and yahoo on for contacts

loobs72 said:
Why do you have to have contacts in other accounts toggled off? I have iCloud and yahoo on for contacts

Because it can cause contacts to disappear or show duplicate contacts.

You don't need 2 accounts to backup contacts.

Pointless.

Thanks for the help zig. Done as you instructed and it's worked. Only I can't drag and drop it only allows me to copy and paste but I can deal with that.

Sent from my White iPad 3rd Gen. 32gb using Tapatalk

chantelle310 said:
Thanks for the help zig. Done as you instructed and it's worked. Only I can't drag and drop it only allows me to copy and paste but I can deal with that.

For drag and drop you need to have "Manually Manage Music" checked so you can drag and drop music and apps.

I tried that one it then wanted to sync my device with my current iTunes library and replace what I already have on there?

chantelle310 said:
I tried that one it then wanted to sync my device with my current iTunes library and replace what I already have on there?

Huh?

No....nothing will be deleted/replaced.

Just check "Manually Manage Music" and then click "Apply Changes".

All it does is apply the "1" change that you made.

This is what i get when plugging my phone into iTunes and selecting manually manage my music then clicking the apply button

5ad06827-da95-a55d.jpg

chantelle310 said:
This is what i get when plugging my phone into iTunes and selecting manually manage my music then clicking the apply button

You have to disable automatic syncing so that won't happen.

Edit> Preferences> Devices>
Check the small box beside "Prevent iPhones, iPods, and iPads from syncing automatically".

Then close iTunes
Open iTunes
Tick Manually Manage Music
Click Apply.