What's new

Sync iPhone to two different computers?

Bluewaves

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4S.

I want to sync just my Outlook calendar from my office computer. And I want to sync my iPhone apps TO my home PC. Is it possible to set up synchronization on two computers?

Here's the thing: I have Outlook on my office computer (can't run it at home), and it's what I use to enter all of my calendar appointments. So I want to sync just my Outlook calendar entries only. Nothing else using the office computer.

On my home computer, I want to sync my apps FROM my iPhone TO my home PC. I don't want my office PC to store my app information -- need to use my home PC for that. And the reason I emphasize the FROM and TO is that this is the direction I want the sync to go: Apps on my iPhone get backed up to my PC. I don't want my PC to dictate what's on my iPhone -- I want my iPhone to dictate to the PC what should be there. If I delete an app from my iPhone, I don't want it to reappear on the next sync just because I didn't delete it from iTunes on my PC. That's ridiculous. If I don't want an app on my iPhone, I'll delete it from my iPhone, thank you very much, and then my PC should see that change and follow suit. Not vice-versa.

How much of what I'm describing is possible with iTunes?

Bluewaves said:
I have an iPhone 4S.

I want to sync just my Outlook calendar from my office computer. And I want to sync my iPhone apps TO my home PC. Is it possible to set up synchronization on two computers?

Here's the thing: I have Outlook on my office computer (can't run it at home), and it's what I use to enter all of my calendar appointments. So I want to sync just my Outlook calendar entries only. Nothing else using the office computer.

On my home computer, I want to sync my apps FROM my iPhone TO my home PC. I don't want my office PC to store my app information -- need to use my home PC for that. And the reason I emphasize the FROM and TO is that this is the direction I want the sync to go: Apps on my iPhone get backed up to my PC. I don't want my PC to dictate what's on my iPhone -- I want my iPhone to dictate to the PC what should be there. If I delete an app from my iPhone, I don't want it to reappear on the next sync just because I didn't delete it from iTunes on my PC. That's ridiculous. If I don't want an app on my iPhone, I'll delete it from my iPhone, thank you very much, and then my PC should see that change and follow suit. Not vice-versa.

How much of what I'm describing is possible with iTunes?

I can't say to all the iTunes part but if you can install the google outlook connector on your office computer you can sync a gmail account's calendar only.

Well, actually, I already have my iPhone syncing with my office calendar. That's not the problem. The question is basically syncing one thing (calendar) with one computer, and another thing (apps) with another computer. And with the apps sync, I want whatever changes I make on my iPhone to take precedence. I want to only sync FROM the iPhone TO the PC. For example, I don't want to delete things on my iPhone, only to have them reappear because I didn't delete them on iTunes on my PC. If I delete them on my iPhone, or move them into groups or whatever, I want those changes to be sent to the PC on sync. I don't want the old configuration to be synced from my PC to the iPhone, wiping out the changes I just made. I want the iPhone to be the "boss" on the sync.

Yes you can do as described, just a matter of clicking and unclicking features you wanted synced on each computer in iTunes. For example your office computer if you just want to sync contacts and calendar then turn off all others to sync when plugged in, vice versa with your home computer. And when you have your iPhone plugged into iTunes with a cable and click on apps for the iPhone you can click and unclicking specific apps to sync or not sync.