What's new

Switching from SGS2 to iPhone 5?

gagdude

Reaction score
Hey guy I'm new here because I'm finally getting an iphone. Gonna do what's cool and follow the treeennd.
I hate Android but there are just some features I can't live without. Tell me if the iphone has them because they are quite essential.
Live wallpapers
Widgets
Changing keyboard
Changing "launcher"-the homescreen basically
Custom ROMs
Syncing with google calendar, google contacts
Google maps
Changing texting app-main iphone one looks like its for 8 year olds
Moving angry birds and fruit ninja save progress from android to iphone
Adding direct dial to homescreen
Getting rid of childish app icons
Ability to exit app and go back exactly where it was before (android nerds call it true multitasking which the iphone doesn't have. It has "pseudo" multitasking. Is there anyway to hack this form of multitasking into "true?")
Sideloading apps (no I don't want to pirate, some apps just have better older versions)

Btw I don't want to jailbreak ever, its just going to make my iphone like an unstable laggy android again

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk 2

You won't find many of those features on the iPhone unless you jailbreak. When a jailbreak will be available for ios6 will be any ones guess. If you can't live without most of those features, then you may be better off sticking with an android phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guy I'm new here because I'm finally getting an iphone. Gonna do what's cool and follow the treeennd.
Hey guy, good to see you here. It sure is refreshing to get someone honest like yourself than another jealous phone fanboy on trying to convince people that their phone is better.

I hate Android but there are just some features I can't live without. Tell me if the iphone has them because they are quite essential.
I would not quite say that I hate android - in fact I am convinced that one day it will be just as easy to use as an iPhone and will perform as well with the stability that we iPhone users have been used to for some time.

Live wallpapers
Widgets
Changing keyboard
Changing "launcher"-the homescreen basically
Custom ROMs
Syncing with google calendar, google contacts
Google maps
Changing texting app-main iphone one looks like its for 8 year olds
Moving angry birds and fruit ninja save progress from android to iphone
Adding direct dial to homescreen
Getting rid of childish app icons
Ability to exit app and go back exactly where it was before (android nerds call it true multitasking which the iphone doesn't have. It has "pseudo" multitasking. Is there anyway to hack this form of multitasking into "true?")
Sideloading apps (no I don't want to pirate, some apps just have better older versions)
Now you are starting to lose me a bit, I fail to understand how any of those are essential features on a smartphone. Perhaps you can think about it and we can discuss actual essential features. I am still open to do that, but you have to come back with something a little more, well - really essential. such as having your phone respond to every touch and not lag so badly that you forget the number you wanted to call by the time it responds.

Btw I don't want to jailbreak ever, its just going to make my iphone like an unstable laggy android again
Actually, I've had my iphone jailbroken to get some of the silly and cool things, and because I am a tech geek - but it's certainly not a necessity. I could argue that it's just a stable as a stock - of course you do have to know what you are doing.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk 2

Anyways buddy, good to see you, I hope we hear from you again when you have had a chance to actually try your iphone. Experience really changes everything.

Love how you hate android and completely contradict yourself by listing all of the Android features that you live and cannot live without. You won't be able to do 89% of any of that you described with a iphone.

lol @ unstable laggy Android. I presume you're in Android 2.2 or 2.3.3?

If you update the phone to 4.0 or even CM9/10, you'll see how smooth "real" AOSP Android is. Touchwiz is quite a hog, but it never lagged on me, ever. If you get the iPhone 5, you'll be doing a downgrade. I personally own a GSII, and I'm holding up until the S4 with a Exynos 5250 gets released. Would be awesome if it came with 5450 but I highly doubt that.

lol @ unstable laggy Android. I presume you're in Android 2.2 or 2.3.3?

If you update the phone to 4.0 or even CM9/10, you'll see how smooth "real" AOSP Android is. Touchwiz is quite a hog, but it never lagged on me, ever. If you get the iPhone 5, you'll be doing a downgrade. I personally own a GSII, and I'm holding up until the S4 with a Exynos 5250 gets released. Would be awesome if it came with 5450 but I highly doubt that.

No actually, that observation was just from a few days ago when I went to see what the state of android was and went to a Samsung store to check out the SIII, just scrolling through and bringing up a few apps was not too bad, but it was nowhere near the smoothness of my 2 year old iPhone4. Untill you have experienced the difference first hand it's really not easy to describe, but with android I still have the impression that I am dealing with a computer interface whereas with iOS on the iPhone4 and iPad3 it feels much more that I am touching the actual emails or photos.

Also, you may want to check your facts...
the iPhone 5 A6's posts a geekbench score of 1,601
which is pretty much on par with the latest android phones with 4 cores running at higher clock speeds. Not too shabby for a processor with only two cores running at 1GHz.
However, we all know that raw speed means very little without the proper use of it, and iOS is just much better at using the speed available to it than android is. It's like comparing a Porsche 911 with a Mustang - while the mustang may look mean and posts higher horsepower ratings, on the track the Porsche will smoke it every time.

The reason why iOS is smoother than Android is because the hardware is tailored just for the single phone a year, making perfect unison. Just look at WP, they only have snapdragons and nothing else.
However another reason is that when you put your finger on the screen, everything stops except to focus on your finger. Load a webpage, and before it fully loads, keep your finger on and scroll around. Don't lift the finger up. The page will never finish loading because everything is focused on your input.
These are very good things which are why I am switching to iPhone. I think speed is better than features but I really need those things. Here is why. I am switching to iPhone and I do not know why ou guys are being so mean to me.
Live wallpaper because I had a live wallpaper which would be an animation of the weather, if it was raining the wallpaper would show raining. It's very nice.
Widgets are extremely important. Calendar widget to see my appointments. Music controls. Easy access to turning on/off gps Bluetooth WiFi etc. Also some news widgets so I can easily read news.
Changing keyboard because swype is awesome and so is swiftkey, which has the most amazing text prediction engine ever
Changing launcher isn't as important, but this goes in line with "getting rid of childish app icons" the icons look way too cartoony. And the messaging app is a joke, seriously apple? Little text bubbles? Needs a major UI overhaul.
Syncing with Google services because I have all my 400 contacts and tons of calendar events saved on, I'm not gonna spend hours copying them over to my address book. Also, who doesn't use Google services?
Google maps because it has free turn by turn navigation and the largest database. Very nice app but I think I can adapt to other maps apps. (I'm scared bc I heard apple maps is terrible, can you recommend a 3rd party app?)
Changing texting app like I said its very immature
Moving angry birds and fruit ninja progress self explanatory I am very far in the games on my sgs 2
Direct dial to homescreen, I want to just tap on a little icon and have it call someone who I call frequently.
Childish app icons explained already
Multitasking because I want to multitasking ! SO is there a hack to change from pseudo method of multitasking to true multitasking or not ! THis i will JB for but only if it is available !
SIdeloading apps already explained in OP.

Ok so the super moderator said I contradicted myself well I said Android is buggy and laggier and less stable but that doesn't mean it has usefully features !
SO will anyone give me a direct answer ?

Alright, I'll have a go.

Reading down your list, I'd say it reads like one of two things, and I don't know which so I'm making no judgment on it. Either it's a list of stuff you cannot do without, in which case I'd say that you'd be wasting your money with a product that will never have the capability to service your needs of it, or you have selected a list of features that you know the iPhone does not have, and never will have in an attempt to prove its unworthiness as a serious player in the smartphone market.

In your shoes, given that either of the above are true, I would choose the best smartphone I could afford from either Android or Microsoft, having researched the features of the various offerings from those companies, because I don't think Apple, with their insistence on locking down the OS, will ever market a product that lives up to your expectations and needs.

Apple products are not for everybody. There are many satisfied Windows and Linux users who do not feel any requirement to rush out and buy the latest iMac or MBP. Buying an Apple device simply because you hate Android will only leave you disappointed.

Hope this helps, and goes some way to answering your question.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Not to take away from anything Kevin says, I think he is correct. If you want an android phone because of only features that are build into android, great, go for it, no need to look back! ... you just have to understand that not everyone is as enamoured by those 'features'. Most people just want a phone that works simply.

Regarding the list and to respond to your question of anyone answering directly;
Live wallpaper - I just pull down weather with my notifications when I want to see it, and with my jailbroken iPhone I even have it on my lockscreen so I can see it without unlocking - but most people just don't care.

Widgets - notication center shows me my appointments. Music controls are on their also (but I forget if that's a jailbreak feature) in any case music player is available from the lock screen. iOS 6 seems to have quick ways of turning off BT, Wifi also - but I've had that with jailbreak for a long time.

Changing keyboard - definitely nothing as fancy as swype, but the apple Keyboard is not too shabby, and most people going from an iPhone to andoid seem to hate the android keyboard.

Changing launcher - seems to be a jailbreak equivalent gimmick - I say gimmick because most people just don't give 2 bits.

Syncing google services - seriously, I guess everyone that goes from iphone to android should also demand support for apple Cloud?

Google maps never was offered with navigation on iPhone, and now apple has pretty much given them the proverbial finger and made their own. If you remember the early iterations of google maps you would recognize that the iPhone maps application is very much ahead of that and I am sure it will catch up quickly. However there are third party map/navigation applications to match any real need.

I am not sure what you mean by texting is very immature.

Moving game data... yeah, I have a PS3 and XBox, I do wish that I could move data between them... sure it's a real problem, but I would never go so far as to call that a need. To do that really would water down everything else I say is a need. It's a want... and a self created problem because I could not be satisfied with one manufacturers silly gimmick to extract my money.

Childish app icons - ??? Icons are little pictures.... they are meant to be easy to understand... not something to figure out like a puzzle. By definition it should be 'childish'. Would you desire a command line interface? I've used them before with computers.... you, probably not.

Direct dial home screen - not sure why it's a problem, but I have my phone icon and I click into that to do anything with calling - however if I get a notification of a call I missed I can always call from there - or I can just use the BT headset and speak to my iPhone 4 (not SIRI) to call anyone in my contacts which is what I do when driving.

Multitasking - has a cost, as you said. that is why all apps don't multitask on the iPhone, it's what I actually like about the iphone. Runaway processes are rare. Only apps that actually need to be responsive in the background are allowed to multitask. Why would you want something that does not need to multitask to take away processor power and memory from something that you are running and interacting with? That just seems self defeating.

Sideloading - become a developer. There is also jailbreaking, where you have the cydia store and many unsanctioned apps and tweaks available.

Not meaning to poo-poo your 'wants' but you have to admit wants are not needs. Ask people on the street about any of those points and I am sure you'll be met with quite a few MEH's. How is that for a direct answer?

Ok but I really want an iPhone because its really cool where I live and it is faster/more stable. My coworkers make fun of me for owning a crappy Android and I sorta agree

I'm just wondering about these before I buy because I want to be prepared but right now I am still stuck on how I could bring my contacts and calendar appointments over.
I still really want -yes you tell me want so ya - the other features but Google stuff syncing could be a big problem for me

Well, I would tell the co-workers to go climb a greasy pole.its your money. You buy what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

There are threads on here on how to sync google contacts btw. I believe you have to have access to outlook as an intermediary but it can be done.