What's new

Surprises at Apple's iPhone Launch Event: Apple Discontinuing iPhone 5 & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone4s.png

There were a few extra surprises at the Apple iPhone launch event earlier today beyond the obvious stuff. First, it was a real shock to hear that Apple will be discontinuing the iPhone 5 in favor of the iPhone 4S as the new older replacement model of choice. Typically, Apple simply lowers the price of last year's model, but now instead we will have the iPhone 5C in the budget and mid-range category and we will have the iPhone 4S taking up the rear with the free on contract pricing. While it is surprising, it actually makes a bit more sense when you think about it. After-all, the new iPhone 5C is virtually identical to the iPhone 5 as far as hardware internals are concerned.

That wasn't the only surprise. Sadly it looks like a few of the rumors we heard previously didn't quite pan out. The new iPhone 5S doesn't have NFC (Near Field Communication) after-all. Furthermore, the front facing camera didn't get a boost in mega-pixels and there isn't going to be a 128GB version either. Ultimately, the usefulness of these features could be debatable which is probably why Apple decided to eschew them in favor of some more useful advancements.

What do you guys think? Was there anything else discussed or NOT discussed which was surprising to you?

I'm shocked and very disappointed that 5 is being discontinued, i plan to keep mine another year, resale value will be very low.

I'm a little disappointed. If the new phones had 128 gigs available I'd be eager to want one. I would also would have liked to have seen a speaker upgrade with them put on front. If they redid so I could watch videos while being in other applications that would have been phenomenol. I do hear that TV out will be available again. I was pretty upset that was taken off the 5.

I'm sure the new processor will be fantastic for gamers. I'm not a gamer, so no need for that. The fingerprint thing is neat, but I never worried about locking up my phone anyway. The new colors are a nice idea, but would be covered up with my case. The camera upgrade might be worthwhile, but the 5 does the job.

Wow I am shocked the I 5 is being discontinued but to go for for the 5 s ill wait for the 6 to be on the safe side of things since the 5 s is not much of an upgrade

I'm shocked and very disappointed that 5 is being discontinued, i plan to keep mine another year, resale value will be very low.
Since the 5C is basically the same phone BUT in plastic instead of real metal I do not think the 5 will drop that much in price...But then again what do I know LOLBob G