What's new

Surprised by my state of health

ardchoille

Reaction score
Today I went in for a physical and blood work. I am 49 years old and expected that my health would show typical signs of issues for people my age. Here is what the doctor found:

Weight: 158 (I weighed over 250 lbs 16 years ago)
Blood pressure: 106 over 76
Pulse: 78
Current medications: None, I haven't ever been on long-term meds
Allergies: No known allergies
Health issues: None

No health issues?! For a 50 year old male? I expected to have at least a minor issue of some sort.

Anyone here trained in medicine and can tell me why my pulse is so high? Is 70 not the norm?

I walked out of the doctor's office with a huge smile on my face.

Pulse: 78
Anyone here trained in medicine and can tell me why my pulse is so high? Is 70 not the norm?

Pretty nurse? LOL! All kidding aside, that's not too far out of the norm especially at the doctor's office (ever heard of white coat disease?--reaction to simply being in a doc's office).
Take it at home in a quiet environment and over a few days and see what your average is. I would say nothing to worry about...maybe need a little bit of cardio workout?

Congrats..you are to be commended for your good health with all the issues that are the norm nowadays!

Pretty nurse? LOL! All kidding aside, that's not too far out of the norm especially at the doctor's office (ever heard of white coat disease?--reaction to simply being in a doc's office).
Take it at home in a quiet environment and over a few days and see what your average is. I would say nothing to worry about...maybe need a little bit of cardio workout?

Congrats..you are to be commended for your good health with all the issues that are the norm nowadays!

Thanks! Yeah, I could benefit from some cardio workout.

Good to hear you're in "rude health" :)

I just received the blood test results from a recent blood draw. The only issue is that my vitamin D level is "mildly low". I'm 50 years old, perhaps I'll live for another 50 :)

Remake.jpg

Congrats, Ard. Sounds like you have a few years left in you yet. I wouldn't worry about the pulse. At least it proves you have a heart and some blood to move around.

I just turned 55 and passed my CDL medical. Wear the same glasses as I did 2 years ago and can still hear my wife moaning at me. Before coffee in the morning I feel like a wreck but after a couple I can usually face a 14/16 hour work day.

I don't think the Reaper is heading for either of us yet.

Hmm. Just realized how old this thread is. Looks like Ard is still with us though, so it's all good.

Hmm. Just realized how old this thread is. Looks like Ard is still with us though, so it's all good.
Yep, I'm still here :)

Update: I'm now running 2-3 miles daily and my leg muscles are becoming more defined. I'm still amazed that, at age 52, I can run 3 miles without stopping.