What's new

Sudden Shutdown!

ssg978

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 (iOS5) that is thirteen months old and has been working flawlessly since I got it. Every evening, I close all the open apps and insert it into my iHome clock radio to charge and for my alarm set.

This morning, for the first time, the phone shutdown completely in the middle of a phone call that was connected with my vehicle through a Bluetooth connection. I pulled over and checked it out, but neither button would activate it. Finally, I held both buttons in for 10 seconds and the familiar Apple icon appeared and the phone slowly "regained consciousness" and seemed to be fine. I used it the rest of the day without a problem, until about 30 minutes ago, when I attempted to place a call, again through my vehicle's Bluetooth dialer and once again, the phone shut down completely. And, again, I had to do a "full restart" to get it to work again. This has never happened before. Moreover, the battery has never been run down completely; the lowest level being somewhere around 20% charge remaining.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Maybe you should try to do a factory restore. Your firmware may be corrupted. I doubt it's a hardware issue, since your device will reboot with a hard reset.

darkstar2007 said:
Maybe you should try to do a factory restore. Your firmware may be corrupted. I doubt it's a hardware issue, since your device will reboot with a hard reset.

Just a tip to the OP, don't restore from a backup.

Maybe you should take one step at a time and try to reset your Bluetooth connections since that seems to be triggering the issue. You do not say your phone is jailbroken so I am assuming not.

Delete the connections and re-establish them.