What's new

Stupid question about iOS 5 GM, but here goes......

Dave12308

Reaction score
This is THE exact same .ipsw that will be installed on new devices before they reach the customer, right?

In other words, on launch day, I will already be fully updated, and not have to reinstall my OS, correct?

The only reason I ask is i've seen it referred to as "iOS 5 GM beta" in various places. AFAIK, GM=shipping code and by definition isn't a beta; but I wanted to make sure since Apple occasionally tends to do things a bit different.

The GM is what is loaded on the new devices before delivery. Yes you are correct, BUT sometime at last minute they change something in the final release for the public on at the release date it goes public. But yes it will be pretty much the same.

This is THE exact same .ipsw that will be installed on new devices before they reach the customer, right?

In other words, on launch day, I will already be fully updated, and not have to reinstall my OS, correct?

The only reason I ask is i've seen it referred to as "iOS 5 GM beta" in various places. AFAIK, GM=shipping code and by definition isn't a beta; but I wanted to make sure since Apple occasionally tends to do things a bit different.

from my understanding you wont need to update. I just upgraded to the gm and I was told that I wouldn't have to. I'm still going to download the official ispw and itunes.

Every thing is the same with the exception of a couple of things. I don't think you get siri with the GM version for the Iphone4 but i could be wrong unless they have changed something.

Every thing is the same with the exception of a couple of things. I don't think you get siri with the GM version for the Iphone4 but i could be wrong unless they have changed something.

Siri will never be on the iphone 4 officially..... its only for the iphone 4S