What's new

Straight Talk $45 per month unlimited - is it HSPA + ?

TheDoc46

Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm getting a Straight Talk unlimited to use in an existing AT&T locked 4S phone. (5.1 so can't jailbrake). Even though they call it unlimited, its not is it... So i'll keep it under 2gig.. Or try too ! :)

I do have a question, since the 4S is HSPA + capable, as is AT&T's network... BUT !!! Does Straight Talk make use of the HSPA+ or is their network locked to 3G only?

What exactly is the disadvantage of running with Straight Talk over the proper AT&T contract (obviously outside of not getting an upgraded handset at a discounted rate every 2yrs) and not getting MMS (unless you jailbrake?)

Thanks in advance.

JGKC9AYC

Reaction score
I'm on my first month of the ST network.
While i've been on CDMA for the past 15+ years, I really don't know what HSPA+ is.
All I can tell you is that i'm in a rural area & for me (so far) it's been either "3G" or "E".
One thing i've been curious about, however, is that i've always been under the impression with AT&T's network, one could surf the net while on the phone (remember the commercial with the dude @ work on the phone with his wife when she reminds him about the anniversary & he gets a dinner reservation on his phone while they chat?) but not so w/ST...at least not in my area.
Doesn't AT&T have a monthly plan that one could use their iPhone on...or does it have to be jailbroken for that as well?

Most reactions