What's new

Store bought tones disappearing

Cbreze

Reaction score
I've seen only a couple of comments regarding this issue. iTunes ringtones disappear as soon as the first call comes in. Are many others experiencing this? I have a week left to return, but I like the rest of my 6+ so far. Could live with it. Maybe an update will fix?

I've read something similar. After updating the iPhone, ringtones could get lost. While there's no update expected within the next weeks, afaik, there are a few fixes:

In some cases they appear again after a few hours.

If you have a backup with these ringtones, iTunes or iCloud, whichever you prefer, restore from that backup to get them back. (Erase all content and settings, set up again using backup.)

To prevent this from happening, sync your device with iTunes. If they disappear, sync them back to your device. There's no need to restore in this case.

Yeah, getting them back is not a problem, its keeping them. The first incoming call and the ringtone reverts back to the default. Funny tho if I change it to another tone besides default it remains in place as long as the tone I pick is an imbedded one that came on the phone. I just hate the crap selection apple gives us. After one week it is the only issue with the phone. Guess I'll live with it. I'm just amazed there is no other thread describing this as I can't be the only one. I did get the latest update the first day so maybe that broke it:(

Remember to make sure you set the tones in settings>sounds and also in Notifications>Phone>notification Sounds. This happened to me when I got my IP5 & I don't remember which one wasn't set right anymore but I haven't had the problem since and my purchased tones are all working on my IP 6 plus.

Yeah, getting them back is not a problem, its keeping them. The first incoming call and the ringtone reverts back to the default. Funny tho if I change it to another tone besides default it remains in place as long as the tone I pick is an imbedded one that came on the phone. I just hate the crap selection apple gives us. After one week it is the only issue with the phone. Guess I'll live with it. I'm just amazed there is no other thread describing this as I can't be the only one. I did get the latest update the first day so maybe that broke it:(
This issue appears after every update for some users. I lost my purchased ringtones as well when I updated to iOS 8.1.1.

You could report this to Apple. If you still have the email with the billing, you'll find "Report a problem" below every ringtone. When you tap this, you'll be able to submit your issue.

Last edited:
Remember to make sure you set the tones in settings>sounds and also in Notifications>Phone>notification Sounds. This happened to me when I got my IP5 & I don't remember which one wasn't set right anymore but I haven't had the problem since and my purchased tones are all working on my IP 6 plus.
I used mine for my favorites. When I looked at my settings before the update, I could find them there (both: Sounds and Notifications), but they were gone after the update.

I do experience this too. So hassle yet apple still dont find way to fix it. :(

I redownloaded both ringtones from iTunes, 4th time I've done this now and reset one as phone ring. This time I doublechecked both notifications and sounds, both locations, thanks for that suggestion bear. They were both there as previously had been the other times, however this time I clicked both spots again as if to reconfirm and so far they are sticking and working as desired and as they should be. The only different thing I did was to reclick under both notifications and settings. Don't know why this should have helped as they were already seemingly in place, but it seems to.
My fourth download of both tones from iTunes has triggered a response from apple and they now say they want to contact me to see what they issue is. See how that goes.

Thanks J.A. and bear for your comments and suggestions.

How about purchased tones then disappearing but not showing I purchased anything on my iCloud. Ring tone still available for purchase on iTunes. Repurchased again and same thing. Can't find tone and no record on iTunes I purchased anything except a bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an issue that got worse with iOS 8.1.1. Apple knows about it and is working to fix it, afaik.
Here's another thread where this was discussed: Ringtones gone Apple iPhone Forum

Maybe something there will help with your problem.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough my ringtones worked fine for about a day and a half then vanished again. Apple said they'd contact me within 48 hours and haven't yet, been three days now. If this is a bug and they know about it and supposedly are working on a fix then that's cool. I'll look forward to getting it fixed. In the meantime I'll not be spending any more money at the iTunes store. The rest of the six plus is pretty frickin' nice and if this is the only bug I can live with it till the fix. I'm kinda surprised tho that from what I've been reading this issue has been going on for years to some degree and is not new to the 6 or 6+. I'd be buying many more tunes and surely many others would be as well except for this issue so seems to me that would be incentive enough to get a fix in place. ;)

I redownloaded both ringtones from iTunes, 4th time I've done this now and reset one as phone ring. This time I doublechecked both notifications and sounds, both locations, thanks for that suggestion bear. They were both there as previously had been the other times, however this time I clicked both spots again as if to reconfirm and so far they are sticking and working as desired and as they should be. The only different thing I did was to reclick under both notifications and settings. Don't know why this should have helped as they were already seemingly in place, but it seems to.
My fourth download of both tones from iTunes has triggered a response from apple and they now say they want to contact me to see what they issue is. See how that goes.

Thanks J.A. and bear for your comments and suggestions.
I remembered thinking the same as you. Maybe I should tell Apple, l. Hope it sticks for you.

There are others I've seen elsewhere having this issue with purchased ringtones vanishing. Apparently one must put them in iTunes in the "tones" section. I don't think they can be backed up in iCloud. Ringtones and audio books can only be downloaded once. No purchased list to download from. Apple needs to fix this. I've seen some people who got burned telling everyone not to buy ringtones from iTunes. That's an overreaction, but highlights the problem. When one buys a ringtones from their iPhone, there's apparently no warning about how it should be saved, or that it will be lost permanently if it's not put in iTunes. I would definitely complain to Apple. Here's a feedback link to Apple.
Apple - iPhone - Feedback

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.