What's new

Storage!!

rolo17

Reaction score
What I've notice is my iphone 5 takes up 3gb for the os.. They need to say its a 13gb instead of a 16gb ..can anybody tell me why????

Is that what "other" is when I have it plugged in?

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

It must be I just never notice it when I had my 32gb i4.. But I did now...

Same here with my 4S. I don't remember "other" unless I wasn't paying attention.

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

"Other" is the iOS, native apps, stock wallpapers, stored text messages, etc. Anything that doesn't fall into the Pictures, Videos, Music & Ringtone categories... falls into "Other."

Thomasjtsi said:
"Other" is the iOS, native apps, stock wallpapers, stored text messages, etc. Anything that doesn't fall into the Pictures, Videos, Music & Ringtone categories... falls into "Other."

Good answer.

If you find your apps are growing through data retention then delete it and re install.

I do this every so often for my Facebook app.

Turning the iPhone off and on can help.

Some users eventually end up doing a restore as a new device.

Personally I don't download enough take up my 16gb of storage.

I've around just under 7gb free !

Thank you! That makes sense!

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

rolo17 said:
What I've notice is my iphone 5 takes up 3gb for the os.. They need to say its a 13gb instead of a 16gb ..can anybody tell me why????

It 's not just Apple, every manufacturer does it.

And it's no different when you buy a computer. "500GB hard drive" turns into 450ish GB w/ the OS & all the junk they load on it from the factory. Should they advertise those as a 450ish GB HD? :p

I think I'm going to take my 16g back and pay the $136 difference for the 32g I need more storage !!!

Thomasjtsi said:
And it's no different when you buy a computer. "500GB hard drive" turns into 450ish GB w/ the OS & all the junk they load on it from the factory. Should they advertise those as a 450ish GB HD? :p

I don't agreed . because it is still a 500 gb hd when empty