What's new

Stinking Ringtones...

foolery

Reaction score
Hi, folks. Sorry to be nasty, but BOY have I had it with stupid iTunes! USed to say I loved it, but that's loooong gone...

I've scanned all these forum suggestions and tried them all with no luck. All I'm trying to do after a recent sync that erased everything audio on my iPhone is get my favorite ringtone back on there. I had a folder saved with all my *m4r files but when I try to add that fodler (or even individual fiels) into iTunes while the fiels appear they are greyed out and won't play even in iTunes. I have taken the original *mp3 files, created AAC versions, renamed them as *.m4r files, deleted the AAC file in iTunes, then tried adding/importing THAT file and I get the same GreyeD out file listing (note the capital "GD" which is how I currently feel about GD iTunes).

What's the freaking deal? I found a suggestion to go into the Tones tab and uncheck "sync tones" then try it manually, etc., but that will mean erasing ALL my media. Sure, I'll have ringtones, but nothing else?! Suggestions?

Thanks, as usual.

Tom

Did you change the profile to ringtone? Right click -> Get Info

Willerz2: Thanks for the reply. Sorry this comment back is late - I hadn't received an e-mail you'd replied and only just check this post page...

Anyway, yes I definitely made certain the extension was *.m4r and it reads as a ringtone. It even appears in the iTunes Ringtones folder/section but is greyed out and won't play... Wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't the tone I use for my standard ringtone (plus I tend to get retentive when technology tries to thwart me). Any suiggestions are very welcome, thanks. Tom

Alternatively, if your device is jailbroken you can SSH the ringtones in.

If your device is stock, you can use iFunBox to root your device and manually put the ringtones in. iFunbox is a free PC utility for both Windows and Mac.

willerz2 - Thanks again. Yes, it is Jailbroken but strangely enough ever since I broke it I've never been able to e-mail out on my phone... Probably not related, but I'm a bit baitshy on Jailbreaking again. Will try iFunBox and see what happens, then let you know. Many thanks again. Tom