What's new

Sprint pulls plug on ios 6 beta users

chubaka

Reaction score
At about 8:30 pm eastern time tonight, while in the middle of texting with a friend, my iphone 4 became deactivated. Status on upper left hand corner displayed "no service" and the only thing I could access was an activation screen. When I tried to activate, I received a message saying "activation failed because server is busy, please try again later." Before I realized exactly what had happened, I called Sprint and they said nothing was wrong on their end and that I was running the latest version of iOS (not true I was running ios 6 beta 4). Because I could not get passed the activation screen, the technical department told me that their is nothing that they could do and that they were creating a ticket for me to bring my iphone to the nearest repair station.

After getting off with Sprint I connected my iphone to my mac and ran Itunes. A dialog box came up on the screen that stated " your iphone's software has expired and must be updated." I Hit ok, to send away the dialog box and then clicked on check for updates. Itunes stated that my software is up to date. Let me also state that I had previously, on several occasions, tried to do an update over the air through settings on my phone before it deactivated and it always said my software was up to date. Even though I knew I had ios 6 beta 4 which I downloaded through the developer site over a month ago, I did not really put too much effort into downloading the current realease. Anyhow, I decided to login into my developer account and saw that the current release had been available since September 19. I downloaded it, and then had to use xcode to restore my phone to the current release (Funny how itunes nor the over the air method would allow me to upgrade from beta 4 to current release). Finally after restoring to the current release, the activation worked and I was back on the sprint network.

Even though I should have looked into upgrading shortly after the current release came out, I did not expect to be put out of service like that. I find that highly unprofessional. I use my phone for business and an interruption like that could have cost me. An email from either Apple or Sprint would have been nice.

Last edited:
Even though I should have looked into upgrading shortly after the current release came out, I did not expect to be put out of service like that. I find that highly unprofessional. I use my phone for business and an interruption like that could have cost me. An email from either Apple or Sprint would have been nice.

I am going to assume you are not an iOS developer but someone that just installed iOS 6 beta because you thought it would be "cool". If you were an actual developer the very FIRST rule that you would have read, before even downloading the beta, was "DO NOT USE ON A NON-DEVELOPMENT DEVICE". The second rule that all of us developers know is, install the next release ASAP in case they need to cut off the previous versions signing.

So basically, you did the very thing Apple instructs us developers not to do. So it wasn't unprofessional at all. The beta program operated exactly as specified. So the failure was yours.

You are right. I am not a developer at all. Just someone with a developer account that once considered becoming a developer before pursuing other business endeavors. I didn't think it would be "cool" to upgrade. I Just wanted to know what the new features were like. I must have overlooked the information that you say is on Apple's website. Would I have known, obviously I would not have put myself in that situation. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Same problem chubaka! I'm out of the country and not by my mac. Do I have to have one to download the xcode 4.5??

Xcode is available on Windows. I assume you have a Windows machine available to you and an ios developer account. Download xcode, then the current release of ios 6. Use xcode to restore your iPhone to the current release. If you are not capable of performing this task, then you may have to bring your phone to an Apple store or a local repair station from your cell phone service provider.

good luck...

Last edited:
Xcode is available on Windows. I assume you have a Windows machine available to you and an ios developer account. Download xcode, then the current release of ios 6. Use xcode to restore your iPhone to the current release. If you are not capable of performing this task, then you may have to bring your phone to an Apple store or a local repair station from your cell phone service provider.

good luck...

There is NO way to install Xcode under any version of windows. The closest you can get is to create a virtual machine install of OSX and you have to have a very high end machine to make it even useable.

There is NO way to install Xcode under any version of windows. The closest you can get is to create a virtual machine install of OSX and you have to have a very high end machine to make it even useable.

That's right you do need to have virtual machine installed. Another option is to download ios 6 current release from the developer's site. Then plug your iphone into computer, then run iTunes, once itunes recognizes your iPhone, go to the software update recovery screen. Hit your option key if you are on a mac (shift on a windows machine) and then click on the restore button. it will open up finder on a mac and windows explorer on a windows machine, so you can locate iOS 6. I did not know about this method until I read about it on another thread in a different forum. i tried it and i stopped it before it proceeded to install since I am already updated, but it seems to work. Sorry for the misinformation.

Good Luck...

Last edited: