What's new

Spanish iPhone 4: unlock?

barto2

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm an italian guy and a friend of mine has a spanish&locked iPhone 4. He couldn't figure out how to unlock it, so it's turned off gathering dust.
I know actually there's no way to unlock the phone part of the phone (LOL), am I right? You know how long will we have to wait?

But I'm not writing this post just for asking you this.
I'll be in Spain for like 9 months from September, so my question is: If I'll bring the phone with me and use a spanish card, will the phone work perfectly?

Thanks in adavance everybody

What Baseband is the iPhone 4 on? That's what determines if it's unlockable. Let us know and we'll see what can be done.

I don't know that, 'cause I don't have it in my own hands... Also my friend says that he can't turn it on 'cause the phone keep asking him to insert the proper SIM (which of course he hasn't...). The phone should be approximately one year old, it it's helpful.

barto2 said:
I don't know that, 'cause I don't have it in my own hands... Also my friend says that he can't turn it on 'cause the phone keep asking him to insert the proper SIM (which of course he hasn't...). The phone should be approximately one year old, it it's helpful.

Unfortunately there's no way to know if or how the iPhone can be unlocked w/o knowing a little bit of information about it. Best way to approach is see if your friend can possibly get his/her hands on a Sim that goes w/ the iPhone's original carrier. It can be a pay as you go or whatever. Just something to get past the activation screen. That way we can get the info needed to know if it's unlockable.

So you can't even tell if the phone will work when I'll be in Spain? (the carrier should be Vodafone ES, but my friend isn't sure of it)

barto2 said:
So you can't even tell if the phone will work when I'll be in Spain? (the carrier should be Vodafone ES, but my friend isn't sure of it)

Not 100%, no.

Best way to approach is see if your friend can possibly get his/her hands on a Sim that goes w/ the iPhone's original carrier. It can be a pay as you go or whatever. Just something to get past the activation screen. That way we can get the info needed to know if it's unlockable.
You said "the best way", so I'm guessing there are worse ways? I can't think it's impossible to get past the activation screen without the right SIM!
Sorry for being so insistent, I'm a total noob regarding iPhone matters ;)

that's ok, I've searched on the web and find out only one base is unlockable. I'll see when I'll have it.
I'd just like to know if the phone will work with a spanish SIM or not.

Actually only 1 baseband is NOT unlockable, and that is 04.11.08, all other iPhone4 basebands can be unlocked.
Now, that's a good news! So now the question is: how can I know which my baseband is, if I can't turn on the phone ('cause there's the SIM lock message)?

Now, that's a good news! So now the question is: how can I know which my baseband is, if I can't turn on the phone ('cause there's the SIM lock message)?

Jailbreak it with Redsn0w to bypass the activation screen. If it's on iOS 5.x then you have the 04.11.08 baseband.

Thank you very much, can you link a guide (step by step, I'm a total noob) of how to do it on windows?
If I do this procedure and find out that the baseband doesen't allow me to unlock the phone (or even if it does), will I be able to use it as a proper telephone when I'll be in Spain?

Last edited:
Guys, finally I have the iPhone in my own hands.
I've used Tinyumbrella, and that's the result
$Immagine.jpg

So, what can I do now? Is the phone unlockable?
I do not want to make a mistake (especially I'm scared that the phone will update, like I red somewhere) so I'm waiting for an opinion...
Thank you sooo much!