What's new

So you switched from Android to iPhone. Are you happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesdog99

Reaction score
Ready to upgrade. Thought there would be no doubt I would get the iPhone. But ended up getting the Samsung Continuum. I will be returning it. So I am back to either getting the iPhone or waiting for a new droid.

I am scared about being tied to just apple products/apps. Is it true you have to pay for more apps, not as much free stuff with the iPhone?
How about not having FLash player? SOOO many sites use Flash, how can you live without it?

So if you went to iPhone from Android, are you happy? What do you miss? Would you change back if you could?

Thanks in advance!

It's not just Apple products, any company can design software for the iPhone. The App Store has more application then the Android Market, but they are quickly catching up. As for Android having more free apps, I can't say if that's true or not but a lot of them are pointless.

As for Flash, sure it's neat, but have you tried going to sites on an Android that utilize flash? They load extremely slow, are very laggy, and you can literally watch the battery draining on the screen.

What I would miss about going back to the iPhone is the necessity of having to sync with iTunes. I love everything syncing OTA, such as contacts, calendar, mail, apps, etc. I also love some of the advanced things you can do like collecting cell network data and plotting it on a map to view real world coverage.

I switched from the Droid to the iPhone. I'm very happy with the iPhone. MUCH more polished interface.

It's true that the Andriod can be customized way more, but I've found that I don't miss that at all. I was constantly changing the screens around on my Droid, and trying different homescreen apps. It got to be more of an annoyance than anything else. Don't get me wrong here, if that's your thing go for it. It turns out (for me) to be counterproductive, though.

There are some things I miss, most of all the Google navigation. Nothing on the iPhone can touch it (yet). Mapquest does a pretty good job, but Google was better. All in all, the free Mapquest app will get you to where you want to go though.

Also, you could do darn near anything with Android just by talking to it. The iPhone isn't there yet, at least not to the level the Android OS is. On the other hand, the iPhone (for me) is way more accurate in understanding your voice in what it does do.

Two things stand out in favor of the iPhone, in my opinion.
1. email. WAY better viewing experience on the iPhone. Nothing on the Android OS comes close, nothing.
2. responsiveness of the interface. The iPhone has it hands down over any Droid I tried. Some say that the rooted and overclocked droids are just as smooth, and I can't dispute that, but I find it hard to believe anything could be as smooth as the iPhone operation.

Those are my findings after a couple weeks with the iPhone. Am I happy? You betcha. Would I go back to the Android system? Only with a proven, out of the box phone that was consistently as easy to use and smooth of operation as the iPhone.

Oh, do I miss Flash? Nope, it was a PITA mostly. Phone data speeds need to get faster before Flash is ggod enough on any phone.

am I a iPhone fanboy? Not on your life, I'm just telling it like it is.

Don

Last edited:
Had 3GS on AT&T then Incredible on VZW and finally went to EVO on Sprint. Now I'm back on VZW with the ViP4 and extremely happy.

You just can't beat the quality of Apple products when all is said and done. I am definitely considering a Mac Book as my next upgrade. Android will come close but fragmentation and the delays in receiving updates from carriers is outrageous. If Google made one phone like Apple I might see them catching up quality wise. Android phones are literally outdated every few weeks and it has to make everyone worry about how long support will even last for their current android.

yes and no iphone is more polished better response cool features but its locked down such as ringtones or u get a message with a tone and cant save i miss my bittorent app from droid 2 there are more free apps with google and there smaller i got a 16gb iphone and the app size is huge i cant browse my memory view downloads from internet or i havent figured out how to yet still learning this thing i was rooted changed roms overclocked my droid two i dont know is possible with this phone

When I first got my iPhone on Verizon (Preordered, got it on the 7th of Feb) there were many features I missed from my Droid. Then I discovered jailbreak.... and now all I can say is "Android who????"

How can you live without Flash you say?..... easy..... just dont. Flash on Android made the site load EXTREMELY slow and used up more battery anyway. Not being able to live without flash is a very silly concept.

Ill tell you what some of the free apps for iPhone are some of my favorites and the pay ones are typically worth the money. I am so curious as to how the other half lives I almost had the wife get an Android but in the end I knew she would be happier with the iPhone.

I switched from the incredible and never looked back. I thought I would miss the htc sense OS, but I just like the iPhone so much better.

I started with a droid, then incredible and finally an X. I had an iPod touch back before any of those and knew I wanted an iphone. I only got an android to tide me over til Big Red got the iPhone. I will most likely never go to an android again.

I switched to the verizon iphone from Droid original ... had it rooted, overclocked and it did exactly what i wanted it to do. (I still have it running using cyanogen7-rc2/overclocked at 900Mhz/compcache enabled). The iPhone interface is definitely more polished ... apps are little more mature. i'm not missing the voice controls so much on android, i never used it anyway, with maps or the keyboard. However the one thing i did notice with iphone that did bother me, was the ability to customize ringtones for all apps. And basic privacy/security.
The sms ringers suck, plain and simple. And i really liked the ability to mask and hide, or password protect, any sms messages like i could out of the box on android. I could only get these features from jailbreaking the iphone, instead of just using another sms client ... Free and available from the market. However, i've wanted an iphone from the day they were released 4 years ago, and i'm not disappointed at all. I'm still debating giving it to my son, who also has an original droid, who's ugrade is available in the summer, but for now, i'm definitely digging the experience.

i am another convert from moto droid 1. mine was rooted oced and majorly modded. i had mine running pe5.0.2 i was oced to 1.25g. it was smooth as a babies butt. I now have vip4 jailbroken. it is fast and the interface is wonderful. i am very disappointed so far with the volume and level of customization that isnt available. Dont get me wrong this phone is dead sexxy. Looks way better then any droid ever looked. but it doesnt out perform some of the droids. Flash is nice i miss it. But lets be honest we are talking about cell phones and as soon as job dies i bet we may have a shot at flash some day:)

Left my Android behind and won't ever look back, as another poster said, Android who, wha? Apps are superior to Android apps along with everything else the iPhone offers...

Love having a phone that works exactly as it should! There were times I couldn't even answer a call on my Droid, it just wouldn't respond..I mean I still need a smartphone that can also make and take calls too...

a little off topic, but someone mentioned the iphone apps being so large.... is the 16gig iphone sufficient enough?

a little off topic, but someone mentioned the iphone apps being so large.... is the 16gig iphone sufficient enough?

Its plenty for me. Not once have I kicked myself for not getting the 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.