What's new

So ~ I went to the Apple store to get my new phone....

SweetPoison

Reaction score
But I couldn't do it.
smiley-shocked003.gif
That 2 year contract thing stops me every time. I thought I was pass it, but there is a huge cancellation fee if you want out. And I know me. 2 Years?

Is it possible to purchase the iphone straight out and then sign up with a carrier without the 2 year contract?

Yep but you will pay six something for the 16GB and I am not sure about signing up with carrier after the fact.

Having smashed mine i got a 32gb ip4 of an auction site for £470, and simply restored it from the previous phones backup.

If you get a mini sim the providers setup details will be taken from that, so buying a contract only mini sim i think would be a problem, but best ask 1st in a store.

But I couldn't do it.
smiley-shocked003.gif
That 2 year contract thing stops me every time. I thought I was pass it, but there is a huge cancellation fee if you want out. And I know me. 2 Years?

Is it possible to purchase the iphone straight out and then sign up with a carrier without the 2 year contract?

They price it so that the ETF is within $50 to $100 of the original cost of the phone. So if you got with AT&T it would be $200 for the phone plus a $325 ETF ($525 in the first month if you cancel) vs $600 for the phone without a contract. But here is the kicker. They knock off $10 a month from the ETF for each month you have the phone. So at the end of say 12 months your actual cost of the phone is $200 + $325 - 120 or $405. Which is much cheaper than $600 up front for the first year.

Something to consider.

Yep but you will pay six something for the 16GB and I am not sure about signing up with carrier after the fact.

Thank you!

Where would I get the prices of each without contract attached? I searched but could not find anything!

Having smashed mine i got a 32gb ip4 of an auction site for £470, and simply restored it from the previous phones backup.

If you get a mini sim the providers setup details will be taken from that, so buying a contract only mini sim i think would be a problem, but best ask 1st in a store.

Thanks!

They price it so that the ETF is within $50 to $100 of the original cost of the phone. So if you got with AT&T it would be $200 for the phone plus a $325 ETF ($525 in the first month if you cancel) vs $600 for the phone without a contract. But here is the kicker. They knock off $10 a month from the ETF for each month you have the phone. So at the end of say 12 months your actual cost of the phone is $200 + $325 - 120 or $405. Which is much cheaper than $600 up front for the first year.

Something to consider.

Interesting. I heard in the long run without contract is much cheaper ~ but according to this I guess not.

That used to be very true back in the feature phone and dumb phone days. But smart phones, specifically the iPhone, changed the landscape.

No? Why No? Please don't tell me that it is a crap phone. :( I have never had Android or a Samsung.

Start talkin, babe...

At least on Sprint that phone is having lots of problems. I was going to get it also but after following the message boards and watching the problems pile up like lots of people have no service I decided to wait for the iPhone. I am getting my i phone next week!

Back in the day it was cheaper, but now with the sliding EFT, it's cheaper to cancel when you start to feel boxed in.

At least on Sprint that phone is having lots of problems. !

How do you know this? What is your source? If you look in this forum, the iPhone is having a lot of problems. If you look over at our iPad site, the iPad is having a lot of problems.

I have not found too many negative reviews on this phone yet, if any. I went to our sister site, the Android forum and no neg reviews there either, but I wasn't there long!

I'm not using Sprint, but T-mobile.

How do you know this? What is your source? If you look in this forum, the iPhone is having a lot of problems. If you look over at our iPad site, the iPad is having a lot of problems.

I have not found too many negative reviews on this phone yet, if any. I went to our sister site, the Android forum and no neg reviews there either, but I wasn't there long!

I'm not using Sprint, but T-mobile.

Sweet, trust me. The iPhone is a WAY better choice. Android phones are garbage and buggy as hell. They get slow and you have to reformat /restore them about once every 6 Months. Its insane. Get an iPhone.

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

Im on my 7th android replacement phone from verizon since November last year. I have had 2 iphones. One was cosmetic damage and the other is my current phone. All my android replacements were software related. Everyone i sell Android phones to comes back in a month whining about their phone being slow or buggy. Its just too much hassle

Sweet, trust me. The iPhone is a WAY better choice. Android phones are garbage and buggy as hell. They get slow and you have to reformat /restore them about once every 6 Months. Its insane. Get an iPhone.

I love my DX and Droid. Both were stable as hell. I have never had any major problems. It seems as if you just got problem phone after problem phone.

SP I would recomend the Galaxy SII for T-Mobile. Its a good solid device. By chance have you checked out http://www.galaxyforums.net/? They cover the Galaxy devices for Sprint, ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon and would have more insight into any problems that the SGSII might have.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited: