What's new

SMS & Ringtones

Darthvader71

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me why I can't assign ringtones from the music I have on my phone?As well as sms notifications......I switched from a Nokia N97 to a IPhone4 and what do you know,can't do any of those things.
And before I get the do it in ITunes,by editing........please I have 80 people that I want to assign ringtones to...willl take me forever and a day...........

Ok, the bad news.

You need to convert your music to ringtones and they can be no longer than 40 seconds in play length.

You are correct, you have to assign each ringtone individually.

Custom SMS tones aren't available until iOS 5 is released later this year.

The good news is, you can do everything you want when iOS 5 is released.

I hated that about the iphone as well when i first bought one back in 2007 the fact on the nokia you are easily able to select any mp3 and set it as a ringtone or sms tone and it did not have to be under 30 seconds but with jailbreak atm you can change both sms and ringtones and add them via SSH to your device. They need to be in .m4r format and under 30 seconds if you are going to officially add it in Itunes

Android can use any MP3/OGG as a sms/ringtone as well.

I think pretty much most phones out there can do that but apple for some reason does not want us to be able to do that.

WRONG!! If your iPhone 4 is jailbroken; Download ToneFXs and you can take the downloaded ringtones from Cydia and assign them to individual email accounts, text tones, ringtones, etc;.

Interesting response. OP didn't mention jailbreak. I didn't mention jailbreak. That doesn't make me "wrong" under the context of the conversation. Just because I didn't discuss alternate methods that are considered by Apple as "illegal" doesn't make me incorrect. Oh and the reason I generally avoid that discussion is because I am a registered iOS developer.

And before you even think about saying "It isn't illegal to jailbreak an iPhone", I am very much aware of the modification done by the Library of Congress to the DMCA that make is impossible for Apple to sue someone that has jailbroken their device. That doesn't change the reality that Apple still considers it a warranty voider and against their ToS hence making illegal in their eyes.

Can I customize ringtones for specific contacts?

Yes you can do that, Open your contact list and edit the contact then scroll down about mid-way you can chose what ringtone and sms tone is used.

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies.Will wait for iOS5 cos I am not to keen to do conversions.......Funny how similar Apple is to Microshaft about what you may do with your property.......Can't jailbreak my phone as I am on OS version 4.3.5.......so waiting till September 7th is it??????

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies.Will wait for iOS5 cos I am not to keen to do conversions.......Funny how similar Apple is to Microshaft about what you may do with your property.......Can't jailbreak my phone as I am on OS version 4.3.5.......so waiting till September 7th is it??????

Well there is a tethered jailbreak for 4.3.5 but i would never use a tethered jailbreak.

The release of an un tethered jailbreak will be X amount of time after the official release of ios 5.0 because really no dev would release an un tethered Jailbreak for either 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 because the only reason them firmwares where released was to patch up the Jailbreakme vulnerability so no one should be upgrading if they care about jailbreak, un tethered that is.