What's new

Slow iPhone 7 Sales Prompt Apple to Cut Back Production

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple cuts back production of the iPhone 7 in Q1 2017.JPG

According to a new report from Nikkei, via MacRumors, Apple is set to cut back iPhone production by 10% from the first quarter of 2017 due to “sluggish” global sales of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in particular.

While Apple was expected to capitalize on Samsung’s recall of its Galaxy Note 7 phone earlier in the year, analysts say that Apple failed to do so because the iPhone 7 line was lacking in terms of “compelling features.” Possibly Apple was aware that the phones had not sold as well as expected way back in September when it didn’t disclose the first weekend sales figures for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Apple actually experienced the same problem with sales of the iPhone 6s back at the end of 2015, but that had more to do with a backed-up stockpile of iPhone 6s inventory, hence Apple lowering output of the iPhone 6s in Q1 2015.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/30/apple-reduce-iphone-7-production/

I'm not surprised. Who needs to upgrade every year or few? These things last for years. Why not keep and use "one" for years?

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. Who needs to upgrade every year o few? These things last for years. Why not keep and use "one" for years?
Because it's in the manufacturers best financial interests to get us to upgrade as often as possible.

Because it's in the manufacturers best financial interests to get us to upgrade as often as possible.

Yes it is. I'm a photographer too. Look at camera manufacturing. It's the same philosophy. I still shoot with old film cameras and lenses. I have yet to have a client complain about the quality of my images. I tell them upfront, you are paying for my vision and skill. They don't care if it's a Nikon, Canon or the megapixel count. And I'm shooting on film. If a tool serves its purpose, stay with it.

To quote Exupery, "perfection is achieved not when there is nothing else to add, but when there is nothing else to take away. "

https://flic.kr/p/FAPAAp

Russ

Last edited:
I am not surprised. The 7 has only been on the market for 3 months and they are already discussing the iPhone8 and they have even released 'spy photos'.

All the rumors and speculation about the new iPhone is bound to sabotage sales of their current products.

It's not Apple that releases the info on upcoming Apple devices. Even without spy shots and speculation about the appearance and functionality of the new iPhone there's the fact that next year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone and most people expect Apple to do something special to commemorate the event, causing some to hold off on plans to upgrade their current iPhone.

People are getting smart not upgrading every year all IPhones [emoji336] are fairly the same !! If they added some features that we would like ( split screen do two things at once ) maybe people would buy more iPhones

Even Tim Cook said he thought the normal should be a three year cycle.