What's new

Siri Suddenly Not Working

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I have not had any problems with Siri, but all of a sudden tonight, it stopped working whether it is tethered to my laptop or not. Checked in settings, and everything is turned on. Any idea what is wrong?

ETA: I turned off the mobile and turned it back on again. It did not turn on as fast as I thought it should. Then, I confirmed that WiFi was connected and asked Siri, but I had a message Siri not available not connected to Internet, but I WAS connected. Tried again, and suddenly it was working again. Is this normal??

Last edited:
Just because you are connected to the WiFi doesn’t mean you are connected to the internet. If the problem persists, you could try resetting Network Settings.

That makes sense. I never really thought about it. My laptop was connected and doing fine, and all of the phone's icons said I was connected despite the little message that popped up on the phone. Initially, it worried me a lot because I dropped the phone a week or so ago, but it seems to be fine now. I also bought a new handbag that is much better made than the one I was using, so I never expect the strap to give way again! :)

That makes sense. I never really thought about it. My laptop was connected and doing fine, and all of the phone's icons said I was connected despite the little message that popped up on the phone. Initially, it worried me a lot because I dropped the phone a week or so ago, but it seems to be fine now. I also bought a new handbag that is much better made than the one I was using, so I never expect the strap to give way again! :)

That's good! -)

Well, the problem has cropped up again. The mobile is definitely on-line as I can open the browser and browse the web, but Siri is not answering. Even if I press down on the home button, Siri does not answer. Maybe I will see a written response. If I ask a question, I see written replies such as "What can I help you with? "I"m working on it" "Please excuse the delay," and finally, I receive an audible response that says "sorry, I am having trouble hearing you."

Any idea what is wrong? Should I bell Apple support?

I did both of those things. Siri has been working again, but I would not be surprised if it stopped again. I might have to take it to the Apple store, something I really do not want to have to do. The store is always an absolute zoo. I dread going there for anything.

You could try phoning the Apple Helpline. They may be able to help.

Yes, the next time it happens, I will contact them. I have a feeling it is something rather obscure. Thanks. :)

I did both of those things. Siri has been working again, but I would not be surprised if it stopped again. I might have to take it to the Apple store, something I really do not want to have to do. The store is always an absolute zoo. I dread going there for anything.
I have the iPhone set to flash when a notification comes in, That is enough for me when the sound stops working, until it starts again.

I had my 5s set to flash and to sound because sometimes I cannot hear the phone if I am running water or using the vacuum or running the washer or dryer, etc. I do not know if my 8 Plus is set that way or not. I need to check it.