What's new

Siri’s search system, will pose a threat to Google in the future?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
siri-204x300.jpg

Siri might be your first warm, charming artificial friend, but as it usually turns out in life, not everybody seems to think so. So last month, Google’s chairman Eric Schmidt made an interesting little statement about Apple’s personal assistant. He seems to think that Siri’s technology threatens Google’s search business, pointing out that voice technology might cast a shadow on Google’s market dominance.

From Google’s perspective, Siri introduces a brand new element in the search battle. It’s all about how Siri works. When users ask Siri a question, she searches the smartphone and the Internet in look for an answer. At the moment, Siri uses Yelp to get the business information and does calculation and data analysis with the help of Wolfram Alpha. So this means that Siri gracefully skips Google in her search query. Surely Apple will add other sources of information in the future. Siri is just beta at the moment, which implies that a much more sophisticated and bug free version will pop out soon enough.

Schmidt has already admitted that Siri is a significant development and that its effectiveness has sort of taken Google by surprise. He stated that Google already has a whole host of able competitors but somehow the search giant failed to anticipate the competition posed by different methods of accessing information. Android is coming from behind strong, and has already put out a Siri version of its own called Iris, developed by Dexetra.

So far, Apple has effectively by-passed Google, and Schmidt has identified this as a threat. It’s interesting to wait and see what Google can do about it?

Source: maindevice

May one day google and Apple with play nice with each other. Siri will someday be the one giving up turn by turn navigation on top of opening apps for us.

I think for on the go situations then siri will be so much easier instead of waiting for google to load and typing in a search when you can use voice activation on siri.. but it will be so much better next year when its out of beta, or if it comes out before then

Has anyone noticed that Siri has not been working lately?

NewdestinyX said:
Yes, p3. I have noticed at least some inconsistencies in Siri's availability. Especially on the voice recognition aspect where often the three little pink circles just sit there and dance and then just go back to blank.

What is going on with Apple? Here lately I have had to rely on google services to accomplish what Siri should been doing.

What is going on with Apple? Here lately I have had to rely on google services to accomplish what Siri should been doing.
another reason why android is now on top of the food chain. it must hurt to use an android search engine on a ios device;)

PHONEGUY said:
another reason why android is now on top of the food chain. it must hurt to use an android search engine on a ios device;)

😡 why youuu!!!!...... 😔 you're sort of right lol. But google services has been a part of the iPhone since day one.

angelinajohn said:
It really hurt to use an android search engine on a ios device

Not really. If you had an iPhone from day one you have been doing it all along. Google maps, search, etc. I don't mind being able to use google services on my iPhone, they have some really good software. (I just don't care of android right now.) Hopefully Apple doesn't close the door on letting us use google software, although I read that was Steve Jobs intention. But I think Apple can be Apple and still have services from other companies. Besides where is Apple maps and Apple search. They have a long ways to go, besides Siri is in the fledging stage. She's still growing, I have to realize that.