What's new

Simple Mobile and iOS 5 on a 3GS -- Network Lost

Razor1973

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3GS that I had jailbroken and unlocked on 4.3.3 and worked perfectly with this local carrier called Simple Mobile (which uses T-Mobile's GSM network). I just upgraded to iOS 5, jailbroke it and unlocked it and I lose my signal around 5 times a day. I get the Network Lost message and then "Searching" in the top left corner for about 3 minutes and then the phone finds the Simple Mobile network again. This happens even with a full signal in the area. Is anyone experiencing this problem after upgrading to iOS 5? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• $iphone.jpg
    $iphone.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 582
I have the exact same issue. Strange thing is that switching on and off Airplane Mode does nothing. Changing to a better signal location does nothing. Mine usually reconnects after 5-10 minutes if I leave it alone. Very unusual and I have missed calls. Ideas?

I have an iPhone 3GS that I had jailbroken and unlocked on 4.3.3 and worked perfectly with this local carrier called Simple Mobile (which uses T-Mobile's GSM network). I just upgraded to iOS 5, jailbroke it and unlocked it and I lose my signal around 5 times a day. I get the Network Lost message and then "Searching" in the top left corner for about 3 minutes and then the phone finds the Simple Mobile network again. This happens even with a full signal in the area. Is anyone experiencing this problem after upgrading to iOS 5? Any suggestions?

Razor1973, you know you're not getting 3G with your unlocked 3G iPhone using Simple Mobile. if you use an iPhone on T-Mobile you will only be able to use the edge connection. And like CDMA, EDGE cannot support voice and data at the same time. But the ping will determine the speed and responsiveness of webpages loading, not just the data speed.

I wanted to get an iPhone with Simple Mobile as the Carrier until someone explained to me, "you will not get 3G if you get an iPhone. Simple Mobile uses T-Mobile's frequency bands. The iPhone is compatible with AT&T's 3G frequency bands. If you get an unlocked iPhone, you will only get EDGE, and your browser will be slow unless you use WiFi ".

Last edited: