What's new

Sim slot on iphone 4s for sprint

vee1985

Reaction score
Just received my iPhone activated and noticed that there was a sim slot any guesses why and can I maybe in the future put a diff sim

Sim phones can be used on any network that uses sims cards to run their phone. Had a friend that a Verizon iPhone and they didn't have to have a sims card and it worked. So I guess every company is getting an iPhone with or without sims card.

GSM networks use SIM cards. CDMA networks do not. The iPhone 4S has the ability to use both, however you can't just choose your SIM card and carrier unless your phone is unlocked...

Factory unlocked phones will be shipping in November. Until then you run the risk of your phone locking itself down to a carrier, if it is not already.

Sim card needed if you plan on using the phone outside of the US regardless of who your carrier is. This is what makes the iPhone an international phone.

vee1985 said:
Just received my iPhone activated and noticed that there was a sim slot any guesses why and can I maybe in the future put a diff sim

The 4s is a world phone. Descriptions above.

Can sim cards be used for sprint I phone 4s, in what capacity more space, International ?

thewitt said:
GSM networks use SIM cards. CDMA networks do not. The iPhone 4S has the ability to use both, however you can't just choose your SIM card and carrier unless your phone is unlocked...

Factory unlocked phones will be shipping in November. Until then you run the risk of your phone locking itself down to a carrier, if it is not already.

You can actually call verizon or sprint and have them unlock the iphone and then put a sim card in there

If the I phone 4s were to be unlocked and a sim card can be used what purpose will it serve. More space or what can it be used to do ? Thanks for your reply...

badboy said:
If the I phone 4s were to be unlocked and a sim card can be used what purpose will it serve. More space or what can it be used to do ? Thanks for your reply...

So basically you could call your CDMA carrier and ask them to unlock it then you can roam worldwide on gsm networks

So basically you could call your CDMA carrier and ask them to unlock it then you can roam worldwide on gsm networks
From what I've read on the net this is correct. However, you must maintain your CDMA carrier service on the phone in order for the SIM slot to remain unlocked.

thomasjtsi said:
From what I've read on the net this is correct. However, you must maintain your CDMA carrier service on the phone in order for the SIM slot to remain unlocked.

Yes that is correct