What's new

Sim card swap- security danger?

stanleymac0

Reaction score
Ok, hi there, pardon me if this is not the right place to add my thread :) I have iphone x and due to my work, had to switch sim cards with my colleges a couple of times.
Now i know its a paranoid stuff and so on, but could any of those sim cards somehow infected my device. From what i know apple is the most secure and i shouldn't worry especially in my case with the sim cards, but still you know paranoia always wins. I was planning to factory reset the p home but i decided not to. So do you guys think i have reason to worry or?

Thanks there ::)

There would be no danger of anything infecting your iPhone from a SIM card. SIM cards carry little more than your phone number and the necessary ID to connect with your carrier.
BTW, I’ve moved your post to the iPhone help forum where it’ll get more attention.

Thanks scifan57, but what if the card was modified to have memory (maliscious software) and simply disguised as sim card or in this case my iphone wont read it. That probably sound ridicilous but still i want to be sure it wont be possible :)

What you definitely risk is having your SIM card cloned if you lend it to someone else.

I know, which is why i wont do that anymore. I am changing my sim card with new one today, as i said i am bit paranoid, i since the phone is new i wont risk. I hope those swaps didn't do anything because one of the guys i had to swich sims with was kinda cheater kind of guy.
Now since i raised the question- when i change the sim card (number remains the same), do i need to retype it in trusted number on apple id, or changing the sim card doesnt effect the number itself?

As you are using the same number, it shouldn’t be necessary to retype it in.

Also, if this is your personal phone why did you have to swap SIM cards with a co-worker? That isn't something normal and should be quite unsettling.

Also, did the co-worker use your personal SIM card? If so they were on YOUR account using your minutes and data while your card was in their phone.