What's new

Silicone Cases for Redesigned iPhone 5 Already at AT&T Stores

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone_5_silicon_sleeve.JPG

MacRumors reports today that silicone cases for a redesigned iPhone 5 have already arrived at AT&T retail stores. They even have pictures of the cases as definitive proof, which have been sent in by readers, so it would seem that that cases are already out on the shelves in the AT&T stores in question. I can’t imagine that Apple would be too happy about that! The cases give some clues as to the design of the new phone, revealing a tapered back, as has been shown so many times before in all those other unauthorized cases that emerged from China. They also show that the mute switch has been moved to the other side of the phone than on the current iPhone 4. It seems strange that AT&T would deliberately put them on their shelves ahead of Apple’s big announcement. Maybe someone has simply made a mistake. Whatever the reason, it’s interesting to see that this is listed as an iPhone 5 and does appear to be a redesign, rather than the iPhone 4s which is currently being said by some sources to be the only new iPhone that Apple will announce on October 4.

Source: 'iPhone 5' Silicone Sleeves Already Arriving at AT&T Retail Stores - Mac Rumors

How can this happen with the phone not even released yet? Does AT&T know something we dont, i hope they are right because if not they just spent alot of money on a wish.

I don't think these are "on AT&T's shelves." If you look at the last picture on the source article, someone is holding over an open box of more of the cases. They didn't pull it off of a shelf display, they got it out of the box.

I may be wrong, but I didn't see any AT&T or Apple branding on the packaging either, so this could still be just a 3rd party case.

That being said, I still believe there will be an iPhone 5 (not just a 4S), and it will be a major redesign. Why else would there be all the secrecy and the big announcement? "Hi, I'm Tim Cook. Our big announcement is the new iPhone. Its revolutionary. Oh, and just one more thing...It will be nearly identical to the iPhone 4. No real reason to upgrade here, folks."