What's new

Should I stay or should I go?

xesvuli420

Reaction score
NOOO! not from the forum =o) lol.

Im at a crossroads here and I want your honest opinions!

I finally made the jump after years of waiting once the iphone was available to Verizon! As soon as I did I was on 4.2.8, and the first thing I did was jailbreak! Life was great, However it wasnt long after that apple came out with 4.2.10, and thus started the headaches. (at least for me)

Ideally I would have stayed on 4.2.8 until a untethered jailbreak was available, however after having a defective hardware issue, I was forced into a replacement. Guess what, it came with 4.2.10! With the new phone I had no SHSH blobs, and since Apple no longer signed 4.2.8, there was no way I could go back. SO, I sucked it up and did a tethered JB.

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY thankful for having a jailbreak at all, but after a week long camping trip where I learned that no matter how many chargers you have, sometimes $%^! happens. The first night of the trip, I went to bed with a fully charged device, and woke up with a brick! (I forgot to turn off data, and wifi, and the constant searching for signal killed my device in a matter of hours) So for 6 days, I had a inoperable device!

I waited and waited for iOS5 to release knowing that it would only be a matter of time before a solution to my problem was available, and finally it came! At the time everything I read said "Don't update" "Don't update" "Don't update" if your waiting for a untethered JB, so thats what I did! I just kept my device at 4.2.10 tethered.

I try not to visit the forums every day looking for a new JB, and when I heard about 5.01 releasing I thought nothing about it.

Then I read that if your wanting an untethered, again "Don't update" "Don't update" "Don't update" because 5.01 killed the exploit that all the "hackers" are working on with 5.0...

Then I read that Apple stopped signing 5.0, and if I was to update then I would have to go to 5.01.

Then I read that if I was on iOS 4, even when a untethered JB is finally released, I would already have to be on 5.0 to take advantage of it...

So to sum it up, (If i understand it correctly)

If I wait til a UJB releases, I won't be able to use it since I'm on iOS4, and wont be able to update to 5.0 since apple servers won't allow the update.

if I update NOW to get on the iOS5 bandwagon, I will be forced to update to 5.0.1, and STILL won't be able to UJB once released until a 5.0.1 UJB comes out!

I tried to do what all the experts were saying, and just wait til a UJB release, but it seems now that listening to them has got me in a LIMBO state! What should I do? Am I really stuck, or have I misunderstood something?

Here are my options, please tell me if I have more!

1. Stay where I am! (tethered) but I have all my apps/tweaks working perfectly just the way I want, but NO iOS 5 features.

2. Update NOW! (still tethered) lose my favorite apps/tweaks due to compatability, but gain iOS 5 features.

What should I do???

Ideally I would rather stay on iOS4 and keep my apps/tweaks working, however I'm afraid if I don't jump then after the 5.0 UJB releases, and then later whenever a 5.01 UJB releases Ill still be on 4.2.10, and Apple won't be signing 5.01 anymore, and Ill be stuck in the same situation.

Please, any and all comments, advice, etc welcomed! (Please be detailed)

Thank you guys for taking the time to read this, and Thanks in advance for your help!

Im in the same boat kinda.. But im on 4.3.5 instead. For me i only really NEED to keep 2 apps from cydia if i was to update to IOS 5.. From what ive read online there not yet compatible. Think im gonna hang back until i absolutely have no choice other than to update.. Or until an UJB is released for 5.0.1.

I dont really mind waiting for the time being!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well here some good news for you

***REMOVED: Please do not post external links***

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgrade your iOS to 5.0.1 and do a tether jailbreak. With time, most of your tweaks will get update and become compatible with your iOS. It's useless to wait for untether jailbreak since there is no where mentioned the ETA of it. UJB for iOS 5+ could land tomorrow or in 1 week or after a year or four. Upgrade now or waist your time.

Im still on 4.2.6 untethered on verizon. I wanna update to 5.0.1 so as to get in and be signed before it stops for 5.1 but am uneasy still about loosing the untethered. Seriously considering updating tho

Like I said previously there is going to be a UNTETHER JAILBREAK for iOS 5 and 5.01
Read the link above in my other comment

Jmills87 said:
Nobody said there wasn't....

If you was to check the link out you would get it meaning they already have the untether jailbreak they just havnt released it it should be out this week

There is no ETA for the jailbreak. It will be released when it's ready. Also it's not done. The only device pod2g has it running on right now is an iPod3g on 5.0. Now he needs to port it to other devices and 5.0.1.

Thank you susielee! I got to the link before the big bad mod, and read the article. I took your advice and made the jump. Let's just hope that rumor is true, and also that a UJB is releases soon!

OK guys, I give it quite a few days, and I promised to post my opinions...

IMHO If you are on a tethered iOS 4 JB, and wanting to go to iOS 5... I would highly recommend it!
IMHO If you are on a UNtethered iOS 4 JB, and wanting to go to iOS 5... Again, I would highly recommend it!

With the Semi tether app out, it really saves the headache of paper weight iPhone's due to accidental reboots.

Rumor is that a UJB is expected in the next few days, and that JB is confirmed working for 5.0.1, so you may be JB'in now just to have to do it again whenever its released, but for me... that risk is worth it.

Good luck in whatever decision you make!