What's new

Should I Do This To My Black iPhone 5? Polished Aluminum Edge!

Apple Trader

Reaction score
My iPhone 5 is looking pretty beat up like the one in this video. This is a cool idea, Do you think I should do it to my iPhone. How do you like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not post the same subject multiple times. I have deleted your other thread so that everyone can respond here instead of two places.

If you have never worked with 1200 grit sandpaper or finer, then I highly recommend you practice first so you can get a feel for it. Used to use 1000 thru 2500 grit to remove orange peel in the clear coat of my Corvettes back during my mid-life crisis (as my friends called it). So I have some experience doing this kind of work.

It is very tedious work and it isn't something you should rush. In fact if you feel like you are getting bored, walk away until you aren't. And if you apply too much pressure or slip there are no do overs. I would recommend you keep a vacuum cleaner around because of the fine dust that will be generated. Basically you will be removing the anodized coating. If you find after you are done that it isn't shiny enough, continue using finer and finer sandpaper until you get the sheen you are looking for.

And the video is very correct. If you do the front side, remove the screen. Don't chance scratching it. Also if you see the dust forming on your fingers, wipe them clean before touching the screen to avoid even the possibility of scratching the screen.

Thanks good info. It sounds like you know what you are talking about. I figured it was tedious, the guy in the how to video said it took a full half hour of sanding to get it like that. I just figure that eventually all the anodization will come off anyway and I think it looks nice with the polished edges. The before and after photos at the end of the video are like night and day.

And sorry about the multiple posts. I was going to delete that other post anyway cause I figured the iPhone 5 forum was more appropriate for the content than general discussion.

Also if might add.....wear a dust mask.

Apple Trader said:
How come? I won't think it would create that much dust. I have dust masks, I guess it wouldn't hurt to wear one.

If you can lay hands on one, use a half face respirator with HEPA filters. It's not the amount of dust that's the problem, it's the particulate size. You don't want that stuff in your lungs. Dust masks are a bad joke.

If you can lay hands on one, use a half face respirator with HEPA filters. It's not the amount of dust that's the problem, it's the particulate size. You don't want that stuff in your lungs. Dust masks are a bad joke.

It looks like Autozone has some respirators and hepa filters for around 15 dollars. Probably a good idea considering everything gives you cancer nowadays.

Aluminum is implicated in Parkinson's Disease, I believe. Any particulates of less than 10 microns, while not necessarily carcinogenic, are definitely better out than in.

Aluminum is implicated in Parkinson's Disease, I believe. Any particulates of less than 10 microns, while not necessarily carcinogenic, are definitely better out than in.

Geez, plus dust aluminum particles caused two explosions at the foxconn factories in china killing like 4 people and injuring over 60 if I remember right. I'm sure it would take a much higher aluminum to oxygen ratio to cause an explosion than one any one person could cause sanding their iPhone.

I sincerely hope so.

Aluminum is pretty reactive, but I think you should be OK. In the good old days when kids could play mercury soccer in the chemistry lab and throw sodium into a pail of water, I seem to remember throwing aluminum filings into a burner flame. Nowadays, that could never happen. Shame.

I sincerely hope so.

Aluminum is pretty reactive, but I think you should be OK. In the good old days when kids could play mercury soccer in the chemistry lab and throw sodium into a pail of water, I seem to remember throwing aluminum filings into a burner flame. Nowadays, that could never happen. Shame.

I know huh? Kids can't have any fun anymore. I think a little danger now and then is good for you. Now instead kids are just getting fat which I'm sure will kill more people in the long run than a few sodium and water explosions ever did.

My iPhone 5 is looking pretty beat up like the one in this video. This is a cool idea, Do you think I should do it to my iPhone. How do you like it?

just a thought though,iphone 5 hasn't been out that long,how did your phone get so "beat up?"that it needs such drastic action in such a short time.....just curious!

Last edited by a moderator:
just a thought though,iphone 5 hasn't been out that long,how did your phone get so "beat up?"that it needs such drastic action in such a short time.....just curious!

Normal use without a case. I'm asking Apple the same question.