What's new

SHAtter Exploit will Jailbreak All Existing iOS Devices Forever !

chazzw

Reaction score
Well I thought this was a myth.... and I am very happy that im wrong!

The new bootrom exploit now has a name. It’s called SHAtter. It’s a low-level exploit found in the bootrom section of all current iOS devices.
Yes, that includes the iPhone 4, iPad, and the new 4G iPod Touch. That’s great news, but the sad bit is it’s tethered unlike JailbreakMe which is a userland jailbreak that you can perform anywhere at anytime. It’s not that convenient to use, but on the good side, it won’t be that easy for Apple to patch as well. Apple will have to make hardware revisions in order to plug this new hole. iOS firmware updates won’t be enough to patch this exploit. There’s still no new info yet as to when this SHAtter iOS 4.1 jailbreak will be released, but we do know that both the Chronic Dev Team and iPhone Dev Team are already hard at work in developing a tool to hack iOS 4.1 wide open.
That’s about it for now, but rest assured, we’ll be talking more about this SHAtter iOS jailbreak once new info becomes available.

This is both good and bad news....

Good becuase it means less mucking about with future releases
Bad becuase its Tethered (Need to connect to PC everytime you reboot)

For Twitter users, follow these guys for the most up to date news...

MuscleNerd (MuscleNerd) on Twitter
pod2g (pod2g) on Twitter
iphone_dev (iphone_dev) on Twitter
comex (comex) on Twitter

Well I thought this was a myth.... and I am very happy that im wrong!

The new bootrom exploit now has a name. It’s called SHAtter. It’s a low-level exploit found in the bootrom section of all current iOS devices.
Yes, that includes the iPhone 4, iPad, and the new 4G iPod Touch. That’s great news, but the sad bit is it’s tethered unlike JailbreakMe which is a userland jailbreak that you can perform anywhere at anytime. It’s not that convenient to use, but on the good side, it won’t be that easy for Apple to patch as well. Apple will have to make hardware revisions in order to plug this new hole. iOS firmware updates won’t be enough to patch this exploit. There’s still no new info yet as to when this SHAtter iOS 4.1 jailbreak will be released, but we do know that both the Chronic Dev Team and iPhone Dev Team are already hard at work in developing a tool to hack iOS 4.1 wide open.
That’s about it for now, but rest assured, we’ll be talking more about this SHAtter iOS jailbreak once new info becomes available.

This is both good and bad news....

Good becuase it means less mucking about with future releases
Bad becuase its Tethered (Need to connect to PC everytime you reboot)

For Twitter users, follow these guys for the most up to date news...

MuscleNerd (MuscleNerd) on Twitter
pod2g (pod2g) on Twitter
iphone_dev (iphone_dev) on Twitter
comex (comex) on Twitter

what do you mean when you say becuase its Tethered (Need to connect to PC everytime you reboot) please explain!!!

Last edited:
what do you mean when you say ad becuase its Tethered (Need to connect to PC everytime you reboot) please explain!!!

Calm down!!!

It means if you reboot your phone or it runs out of battery.... it will get stuck booting back up.

Remember.... Google is your Friend

Tethered Jailbreak:

A tethered jailbreak means that once your iPhone is successfully jailbroken with (whatever comes out), you’ll need to connect your iPhone to your computer and rerun (whatever comes out) if you ever need to reboot your iPhone or your iPhone loses battery charge.
What you’ll see when you reboot your iPhone (if you’re tethered) is the iTunes and USB picture. Once you get this, simply open up blackra1n and press “Make It Ra1n.” This WILL NOT re-jailbreak or restore your iPhone, all it is doing is booting back up your iPhone for you.

what do you mean when you say ad becuase its Tethered (Need to connect to PC everytime you reboot) please explain!!!

Calm down!!!

It means if you reboot your phone or it runs out of battery.... it will get stuck booting back up.

Tethered Jailbreak:

A tethered jailbreak means that once your iPhone is successfully jailbroken with (whatever comes out), you’ll need to connect your iPhone to your computer and rerun (whatever comes out) if you ever need to reboot your iPhone or your iPhone loses battery charge.
What you’ll see when you reboot your iPhone (if you’re tethered) is the iTunes and USB picture. Once you get this, simply open up blackra1n and press “Make It Ra1n.” This WILL NOT re-jailbreak or restore your iPhone, all it is doing is booting back up your iPhone for you.

Does a respring class as a reboot? I assume not, well I hope not

Thank you chazzw,

sorry to be a pain but this is all new to me but I have one more question!!!

so will it be better not to jailbreak if it is Tethered as they say that you should let your phone completly die at least once a month to maintain the battery.

Thank you chazzw,

sorry to be a pain but this is all new to me but I have one more question!!!

so will it be better not to jailbreak if it is Tethered as they say that you should let your phone completly die at least once a month to maintain the battery.

I would assume you can still drain your battery once a month, you would just need to connect to pc to reboot.

so what happens if you do reboot? do you still have all your apps and what not and just lose the jailbreak and cydia apps? and if you redo i t through the comp, would you get everything back or do you start over from square 1?

man i was happy that there is a new jailbreak coming out but dang, after every re-boot what a pain in the butt

hopefully its like blackra1n when you need to do a reboot, just reboot your ipod/iphone and then when it comes up and says your ipod/iphone needs to be connected to itunes just connect your ipod and then jailbreak it again and youll have all you files, contacts, and youll still be jailbroken without having to do a restore

Calm down!!!

Tethered Jailbreak:

Does a respring class as a reboot? I assume not, well I hope not

A respring does not count

so basically, all that counts is, when you TURN OFF your device, or it dies because of no battery right?

so basically, all that counts is, when you TURN OFF your device, or it dies because of no battery right?

Yup. You might think oh thats not that bad, i just wont turn it off and keep it charged. It sucks more than you think. My buddy tried to do it with his 3rd gen ipod touch. Say you want winterboard? Well to install it you have to... Yup, thats right, reboot.

Yup. You might think oh thats not that bad, i just wont turn it off and keep it charged. It sucks more than you think. My buddy tried to do it with his 3rd gen ipod touch. Say you want winterboard? Well to install it you have to... Yup, thats right, reboot.

so with that being said, how would you get winterboard o_O

Oh You can get winterboard. Its just to install it it requires you to reboot once. So just reboot, then rejailbreak to start your phone back up. And then winterboard will be installed. Just saying stuff like that gets annoying.

Oh You can get winterboard. Its just to install it it requires you to reboot once. So just reboot, then rejailbreak to start your phone back up. And then winterboard will be installed. Just saying stuff like that gets annoying.

yeah well atleast thats a one time deal...i hope