What's new

Set Up of iPhone 4S

mfterka

Reaction score
I'm on ATT and have heard that to set it up you just Sync it with iTunes and it prompts you to follow the steps? No need to call/visit ATT?

I suspect I will have to call ATT just to sort out my plan and its features, but the main work sounds do-it-yourself in activating the phone and transferring your apps/contacts over.

mfterka said:
I'm on ATT and have heard that to set it up you just Sync it with iTunes and it prompts you to follow the steps? No need to call/visit ATT?

I suspect I will have to call ATT just to sort out my plan and its features, but the main work sounds do-it-yourself in activating the phone and transferring your apps/contacts over.

iOS 5 takes you through the simple process of setting the phone up straight out of the box. No need for iTunes.

Awesome! Thought so but wasn't sure. Sounds like there will be alot to get used to in iOS 5 but in a good way!!!

iCrank said:
iOS 5 takes you through the simple process of setting the phone up straight out of the box. No need for iTunes.

I heard this somewhere and thought is was malarky. But I guess I was wrong.

But let me ask this, iOS 5 is supposed to eliminate the need for a Mac/PC, right? But I've seen videos and read info that backing up the device to iTunes requires a computer on the same Wi-Fi network. Basically it looked the same as backing up a device now except no wires and you could see the back up/sync progress directly on the device. Am I missing something here?

I heard this somewhere and thought is was malarky. But I guess I was wrong.

But let me ask this, iOS 5 is supposed to eliminate the need for a Mac/PC, right? But I've seen videos and read info that backing up the device to iTunes requires a computer on the same Wi-Fi network. Basically it looked the same as backing up a device now except no wires and you could see the back up/sync progress directly on the device. Am I missing something here?

Yeppers. You are only reading about one of the two new features of iOS 5 and backing up the phone.

You have three options now with iOS 5.
1) The original plug into iTunes. Still the fastest way to backup/restore.
2) The new wireless connect to iTunes. Requires that the phone and iTunes computer be on the same WiFi network.
3) Connect to iCloud, which is free for the first 5GB. Doesn't require a PC and is done while the phone is charging.

Skull One said:
Yeppers. You are only reading about one of the two new features of iOS 5 and backing up the phone.

2) The new wireless connect to iTunes. Requires that the phone and iTunes computer be on the same WiFi network.
3) Connect to iCloud, which is free for the first 5GB. Doesn't require a PC and is done while the phone is charging.

Oh I see. I guess the only way to see it all laid out is to still use the iTunes Internet page. I'm guessing otherwise we'll have to search for a particular app to re-download or whatever. Like, there will not be a iTunes page similar to the Internet one on the devices?

And the 5GB, that doesn't include apps/music/videos you bought from them, right? Like the 5GB is for my personal music I uploaded from CD's and stuff like that?

Oh I see. I guess the only way to see it all laid out is to still use the iTunes Internet page. I'm guessing otherwise we'll have to search for a particular app to re-download or whatever. Like, there will not be a iTunes page similar to the Internet one on the devices?

And the 5GB, that doesn't include apps/music/videos you bought from them, right? Like the 5GB is for my personal music I uploaded from CD's and stuff like that?

Actually, I have more good news for you then. iOS 5 does even a better job of showing what you have already purchased in the App store as well as what is actually installed and not installed on the phone. Really easy to use.

Apps, music and Videos purchased thru iTunes doesn't count against your 5GB since that is already stored on Apples other servers. You personal music on the other hand requires a iTunes Match account. You can read about it here ( Apple - iCloud - All your music on all your devices. ) at the bottom of the page.

Skull One said:

And one more question, I guess this might be obvious to some either way but when we set up the device without connecting to iTunes will it do it from our last back up, like all my apps, folders, contacts and so forth will all be the same?

And one more question, I guess this might be obvious to some either way but when we set up the device without connecting to iTunes will it do it from our last back up, like all my apps, folders, contacts and so forth will all be the same?

Only if you are already on iOS 5. Since it hasn't been released, that means you will have to do one more iTunes install for existing devices. iPhone 4S will come with iOS 5 preloaded but you will still have to restore the backup from the iOS 4 device thru iTunes, unless you take the time to update the device to iOS 5, force the back up and then activate the iPhone 4S normally. But that would be a slow process compared to a direct iTunes transfer for the first go around.

Skull One said:
Actually, I have more good news for you then. iOS 5 does even a better job of showing what you have already purchased in the App store as well as what is actually installed and not installed on the phone. Really easy to use.

Apps, music and Videos purchased thru iTunes doesn't count against your 5GB since that is already stored on Apples other servers. You personal music on the other hand requires a iTunes Match account. You can read about it here ( Apple - iCloud - All your music on all your devices. ) at the bottom of the page.

Got it, thanks for the info.

I'll stick to the old fashioned way of plugging in. Afterall, wireless is pants no matter what compaired to good old proper connectivity ;)

I'll stick to the old fashioned way of plugging in. Afterall, wireless is pants no matter what compaired to good old proper connectivity ;)

While some users might have some trepidation with using wireless backup for the first time, I have used it every night for the last 6 weeks with no issues. It is actually very comforting to know every time that I plug the phone in it is now being backed up. Before then I had to remember to plug it in and that probably was only happening once a week. Lot of stuff can change on your phone in a weeks time. Think of just your game saves alone ;)

Lol good point Skull. Gave me a giggle with the last bit too :)

And yeh i can see the benifits like not over charging one's device (Because we all know that over charging kills batteries fairly quick) by plugging in all the time to sync etc. But personally i don't have my device to sync on connection due to i'm fussy and i like being in control everything without random stuff popping up just because i plugged something in. That's just me...

But it's good to know that at least it does work ok. My reason for saying what i previously did was mainly due to transfer speeds really. I know USB isn't the best but it's a damn sight better than wireless is. And it kinda scares me the concept of transfering 5Gb+ of data over 3G/Wifi to iCloud. Or does it not work like that? What i mean is, do you have to sync to your computer first and then from there transfer what you want to iCloud?

Because if it is possible to be out and about and be able to upload/download whatever via iCloud then just an album would take forever and a day via 3G.

Last edited:
Lol good point Skull. Gave me a giggle with the last bit too :)

And yeh i can see the benifits like not over charging one's device (Because we all know that over charging kills batteries fairly quick) by plugging in all the time to sync etc. But personally i don't have my device to sync on connection due to i'm fussy and i like being in control everything without random stuff popping up just because i plugged something in. That's just me...

But it's good to know that at least it does work ok. My reason for saying what i previously did was mainly due to transfer speeds really. I know USB isn't the best but it's a damn sight better than wireless is. And it kinda scares me the concept of transfering 5Gb+ of data over 3G/Wifi to iCloud. Or does it not work like that? What i mean is, do you have to sync to your computer first and then from there transfer what you want to iCloud?

Because if it is possible to be out and about and be able to upload/download whatever via iCloud then just an album would take forever and a day via 3G.

You won't sync anywhere near that amount. They already know your apps and music, so they don't have to back up that. Your pictures get sunk to iCloud in real time if you are on WiFi. So basically it is your data like contacts, calendars, SMS, MMS, settings, save data for apps and other support data that is actually getting backed up. That data set is actually quite small in the grand scheme of things.