What's new

Seeking opinion on which watch to get

JonH

Reaction score
I wasn't really planning on getting the watch, I haven't worn a watch in decades. The Health App and it's somewhat water proof construction has dragged me down this path.

I've read a bunch of stuff, so much that I'm now kinda lost. Today I went to Apple Store but the guy I talked to didn't really help me as much as I hoped.

I think I want a 42mm watch. I want to track health, I want to wear it in the water (so I've ruled out fitbit), I want to listen to podcasts on my 3rd party BT headphones while working out. Right now I listen to podcasts on my iPhone. The guy at store indicated that there was no built in podcast app but I could install one.

Is anyone here using the watch for podcasts? I'm wondering if I must download podcasts to an app on watch or if somehow I can sync to podcasts on my iPhone.

I read somewhere that the Nike watch was lighter & the band was more comfortable, especially if working out. I want to monitor pulse, presume a loose fitting band won't work well so the Nike band seems like it might be right for me. But, I don't run and don't really understand what it is about the Nike apps that would be attractive to me vs just a regular Aluminum watch.

Regarding monitoring pulse. Since the wrist artery is on the underside edge of the wrist but the watch sensors are beneath the watch body, how well is the pulse detection?

One other important fact...I'm pushing 70 & eyes don't work as well anymore and my fingers are not as flexible as the 'good old days'. In fact, I constantly have trouble on iPhone/iPad Pro with touch due to skin tone & dry climate.

Any thoughts on above?
thanks, Jon

The Nike watch is the same watch physically.

If you have "old" eyes the 42 may be for you. An older (and wiser) friend at work has the Nike and the pulse works great, (he has had heart troubles and operations because of them) and fitness with monitoring is the reason he bought it.

Like you he hadn't worn a watch in years but got used to the 42mm iWatch fairly quickly, and has purchased a couple of different bands.

His only issue is the battery in his needs to be charged every night to make it through the workday so he can't wear it and monitor while sleeping.

Thanks. I guess since I'm not a runner, I may as well look at the regular Series2 AL watch since I would never use the special apps that is included in the Nike+ version.

I did find info that answered my podcast question.