What's new

Scott Forstall’s Departure Could Mean iOS Redesign by Jony Ive

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Podcasts_app.JPG

Phone Arena reports today that according to a new story in the New York Times, Scott Forstall’s newly announced departure from Apple could signal a wholesale redesign of iOS by Jony Ive. The Times says that Scott Forstall was a big proponent of skeuomorphism design, such as using faux linen backgrounds, and a reel-to-reel tape recorder for the Podcasts app. The Times says that this was an approach much favoured by Steve Jobs, as well as Forstall. The Times says that now Jony Ive will be able to do away with what it seems to be saying is an old-fashioned approach, and re-invent iOS. While this is exciting news, if true, in one sense, as Jony Ive is of course an amazing designer, but you didn’t hear many people complaining about iOS design until now, in fact I remember many saying how cool the tape deck idea was, so it seems a little unfair to suddenly be saying that Forstall’s approach to design was behind the times.

Source: NYT confirms Apple lost Forstall to move forward with an iOS design overhaul

Everything that Jobs thought was important for "Look and Feel" is about to be reconsidered at Apple. iOS 7 is either going to be a real hit with the Android crowd or a real miss with the Apple Fanbois. This could end badly.

Everything that Jobs thought was important for "Look and Feel" is about to be reconsidered at Apple. iOS 7 is either going to be a real hit with the Android crowd or a real miss with the Apple Fanbois. This could end badly.

Agreed. But overall it's a new taste to it all. I guess once it comes out for beta testing or the designs are released to the press, we can see the prospects of it. But like you said, it's a swing or a miss.

it doesn't bode well IMO......if ain't broke,don't fix it!!!

That's why Jony Ive's bringing in a jackhammer

Poisonivy said:

But it's Jony Ive! The man is a design genius.....I can't imagine that it would be a backward step.

The Archangel

Poisonivy said:

But it is terribly broke. The people that buy the iPhone for the OS design are a very small percent of those who buy it for the hardware design.

However I do agree this could end badly if they end up breaking it further by giving people what they don't want or worse forcing people to do things differently.

But it's Jony Ive! The man is a design genius.....I can't imagine that it would be a backward step.

The Archangel

I don't think any one that knows his work would argue that point. But Jobs wanted to give the cold clean designs of Ive a breath of life. A look of the familiar. A sense of art framed by Ive work. If they remove that feel, then they are talking about making things that look like they came from Star Trek 2009. Granted the command deck was incredible in that movie. But it looks sterile. There was no sense of warmth or comfort. It was there to travel thru space effectively and that was it. Hope that makes sense.

My concern is, if they finally do away with one of Jobs design tenets how long till another one falls? Then when they all are gone how long till Apple reach 1996 again? This time there is no Jobs to save them if that happens.

Just to be clear, I am not worried yet. But I am concerned with the stories that are being published on the subject matter at present.

I hope they do one thing...and fire anyone who wants to allows crappy work to released.

This one thing has always seperated the Iphone from the rest..and made it the phone people wanted..

I don't see him going too far to making it look like Android..but do hope to see some changes coming.

If they got 1/10 of the developers making custom themes for it in Apples approved manner,just to allow some things that is taken for granted with Android like placing things where you want them on the screen..having drop down menues that allow setting/display changes and such..would be a major step forward..because with how they do things for Apple...would function better than anything done on a Android..

Mac

Skull One said:
I don't think any one that knows his work would argue that point. But Jobs wanted to give the cold clean designs of Ive a breath of life. A look of the familiar. A sense of art framed by Ive work. If they remove that feel, then they are talking about making things that look like they came from Star Trek 2009. Granted the command deck was incredible in that movie. But it looks sterile. There was no sense of warmth or comfort. It was there to travel thru space effectively and that was it. Hope that makes sense.

My concern is, if they finally do away with one of Jobs design tenets how long till another one falls? Then when they all are gone how long till Apple reach 1996 again? This time there is no Jobs to save them if that happens.

Just to be clear, I am not worried yet. But I am concerned with the stories that are being published on the subject matter at present.

Of course one possibility is themes......maybe a fresh look could bring some standard themes, classic iOS, modern iOS, completely wacky and funky iOS! Of course none of us is going to know until we see what the talented Mr Ive throws at us in iOS 7.

The Archangel

Themes would be nice.

Yup...I know...this is one area I think they can improve on greatly..same can be said for allowing different launchers to work on it as well when you get right down to it...This is one of the things I sorely miss coming from all of my androids.No need to root on them...to have all kinds of different launchers...so I don't believe there would be any need to jailbreak on our I devices if they are done properly.

I don't know if they are that daring enough to allow this or not though....but...if what is being done isn't effecting the core stucture I don't see the issue with not allowing folks to decide at least how their devices look. I'm sure there would be a major outcry from long term IOS fans against it saying they are trying to copy Android...but I don't buy that arguement at all...I look at it as a oppourtunity for more developers to be able to produce better launchers and a cleaner slicker interface that we can actually control...and know full well since it is being done on our phones...it will be done right.

BUT... they will have to go back to thinking outside the box again....and realize not everyone who likes these phones likes they way their screens look..or use them as they do.

We can only hope

Mac

you never know,i haven't been around iphones long,only since 4s came out but from what i understand Apple have slowly become a little more flexible,i'm told at one time they wouldn't even allow you to put your own ringtones/text alerts on.

Perhaps Apple could look at some of the things available on Cydia to get some ideas on theme elements. Unlimited icons on the dock with cover flow. Allowing users to change the color of the status bar and notification center backgrounds. Allowing blank slots in the icon grid. Allowing the removal of the dock. The ideas are endless.