What's new

Saving MP3 files

joycole

Reaction score
I have sent an email to my phone containing an MP3 ringtone, but I can not figure out how to save it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

I have sent an email to my phone containing an MP3 ringtone, but I can not figure out how to save it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

You need to open iTunes and open the file on iTunes. After that, sync your phone and your ringtone will be on your phone.

Thank you for your reply. But I am still a tad confused. Do I need to open iTunes on my phone? Sorry, I am really new to this :)

Thank you for your reply. But I am still a tad confused. Do I need to open iTunes on my phone? Sorry, I am really new to this :)

Save your ringtone in your computer.
Open iTunes on your computer.
Go to iTunes menu and import that ringtone. It'll automatically place it in your ringtone file in your comp. iTunes.
Plug your phone to Yr comp. Make sure o Yr ringtone tab that ringtone is checked.
Once u do that, sync Yr phone.

Correct me if I am wrong, however, I do not think you can use an MP3 as a ringtone...I believe it has to be in M4R format.

Correct me if I am wrong, however, I do not think you can use an MP3 as a ringtone...I believe it has to be in M4R format.

====================
You're right. I misunderstood the question. I thought it was in ringtone format(m4r) already.

Yes, It does have to be m4r format and when i follow the steps in the quide I found, using a song from my iTunes, I get as far as changing the m4a to m4r and for some reason, I am unable to change the format. UGH!! This was soooo much easier with my Blackberry.
Any other suggestions for changing the format?

Yes, It does have to be m4r format and when i follow the steps in the quide I found, using a song from my iTunes, I get as far as changing the m4a to m4r and for some reason, I am unable to change the format. UGH!! This was soooo much easier with my Blackberry.
Any other suggestions for changing the format?

If you are using a windows7 comp you can change the format of the m4a to m4r 1st by copying the m4a file to your desktop, then open any folder, ex: MY DOCUMENTS then on top left clic ORGANIZE then in the list clic FOLDER AND SEARCH OPTION. Clic on the tab VIEW then in the list that show in the window, locate and uncheck the HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPE. Heat APPLY and OK, go back to your desktop, refresh it with a right clic refresh, locate your m4a file and then change the extension to m4r and heat enter. You can now drag your new rt to the itune and sync it with you iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SO I have another question while I am trying to resolve the ringtone issue.
What is jailbreak? and what are the benefits?

So from what I've read there is no way to save an ringtone attached to an email on your phone, you have to use the computer. Is that correct?

Seems a little stupid not to be able to just click on the attachment and have a "Save As" pop up.

Is there a reason for this that I'm not understanding.

Thanks,
Lenny

So from what I've read there is no way to save an ringtone attached to an email on your phone, you have to use the computer. Is that correct?

Seems a little stupid not to be able to just click on the attachment and have a "Save As" pop up.

Is there a reason for this that I'm not understanding.

Thanks,
Lenny

You can save any document file you have in you email to the iPhone, but first you will need to have 3rd party apps which are capable of reading the files, only after that you can tap hold on the file in your email and a drop list will pop up saying open with... Once you open a file with an app capable of reading the file, the file will be saved in that app for later use, the same goes for mp3 and ringtones. I always play and save mp3 from my email using the ever note app. Same goes for ringtones, if you have an app install in your phone which can play ringtones, then you can save your ringtones from your emails to that app. But apple inbuilt apps like the iPod app will not allow you to play or save any mp3 or ringtones in there, because apple is against pirates so that most of the apple stuff have to be made via iTunes where everything are centralize. At least until now that's how it is.