What's new

Restoring my old data to new 6s

qwerty78

Reaction score
Hi all. My dear old 5s is kaput. Damaged beyond repair. I have backup in i-tunes.

I've ordered a 6s & it'll be here in a day or two.

What do I do when it lands on the doorstep to restore my old stuff?

Is it as simple as hit the 'restore' button on itunes or more involved as its not the same phone & model?

Connect your new iPhone to iTunes on your computer. You'll be given the choice to set it up as a new iPhone or from a previous backup. Choose the latest backup of your iPhone 5S and everything will be transferred over. The thing that takes the longest will be downloading the apps as they're no longer included in an iTunes backup. Which apps were on your old iPhone are recorded in the backup and the apps themselves will download from the cloud.

Not skilled at this. The old 5s is in the bin. Dead. Before I can 'restore' I need to upgrade the 6s to IOS 12.

Apple wants me to respond to a PINCODE sent to my SiM. But the sim wont work while the 6s is 'empty' of any IOS.

Set it up first as a new iPhone. This will get it activated with the SIM working. You can then update to the latest iOS version, then restore the iPhone and set it up with the backup of the old iPhone.