What's new

Restoring from itunes Backup

AQ_OC

Reaction score
I got my 6+...I had backed up my 4S...and used the latest version of iTunes to restore. Well, all the settings and passwords and stuff came back, but when it comes time to restore the apps, iTunes crashes right at that part. So, none of my apps are being restored. What to do?

You will probably have to restore your device as a new device rather than trying to transfer your 4S backup to your new 6+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Restoring as a new device requires a LOT of work, as I have many settings established (I did a password-protected encrypted backup of my 4S). Since iTunes did not work, but appeared to have restored all of my settings and data, but not the apps, I just went into the App Store and then to the section that shows my Apps. I just started with the ones I use the most, and set those to download (without deleting them on my device but leaving them in the "waiting" state - if you delete them then you lose data and settings). I started this morning around 4am. Now, at 7:30am and after driving an hour to work, I have almost everything back -- without having to remember passwords / settings / wifi networks, etc. Plus, after doing this, I can easily see there are some apps I wasn't using much anyway, so I will probably delete those.

I think I will start using iCloud for backup as iTunes is just too unreliable. Heck, the last time I restored my iPhone 4S was 3 years ago! No, that's not right...cause I didn't have an iPhone before the 4S. So I started that device fresh. The last time I backed it up was yesterday before getting my 6+. After I get everything set up as I want it, I will create a backup of my 6+ to both the PC and to iCloud. I don't expect to need to use either for another 3 years which means I probably will not use them at all.