What's new

Restore jailbreak

dyer646

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wanting to sell my 4s , how do I go about restoring the phone etc so it's like new and obviously not jailbroken, I have tried restoring with iTunes in dfu mode but is not working
Thanks in advance

You don't need to go into dfu if you want to return your iPhone to factory settings. Just plug it into iTunes and click restore.

You don't need to go into dfu if you want to return your iPhone to factory settings. Just plug it into iTunes and click restore.

The iPhone in question is jailbroken already, so if you restore without DFU mode, you'll either come in a string of errors leading up to error 21 or just get smacked with an error -1 brick, which is why it's crucial to restore using DFU at all times, especially if it's a jailbroken iDevice.

The iPhone in question is jailbroken already, so if you restore without DFU mode, you'll either come in a string of errors leading up to error 21 or just get smacked with an error -1 brick, which is why it's crucial to restore using DFU at all times, especially if it's a jailbroken iDevice.

That's actually new to me. I've never encountered a single problem when doing a normal restore on a jailbroken iPhone on my MacBook Pro. I guess that would seem correct though, but has never happened to me.

That's actually new to me. I've never encountered a single problem when doing a normal restore on a jailbroken iPhone on my MacBook Pro. I guess that would seem correct though, but has never happened to me.

*shrug* I've heard cases of that as well. But to be on the safe side, definitely use DFU to prevent bricking.

So if on one computer it won't allow me to restore can I try another computer ? Is there any other way of restoring my iPhone ??

Not a very useful answer...iTunes can throw out error messages for non jailbroken devices as well jailbroken devices(especially when users change iTunes host files...) You shouldn't need to enter dfu mode when restoring to stock Apple firmware..

Your first instinct was correct.... I never needed DFU mode when restoring to stock firmware...

Managed to do it using a different computer that didn't have the io6 update I think ....